Infatuation

Disclaimer: I do not own Kuroko no Basuke nor its characters
Warning: MidoTaka and maybe slightly OOC characters

~

July 7 XXXX

Today was the birthday of none other than the shooting guard, Midorima Shintaro. He wasn't particularly happy of the event, but not upset either. It was a good day for him though, lucky-he would call it, he had his lucky item, and Cancers were ranked first for today.

It was a school day, and he could not care less. The classes went by in a flash. There was no basketball practice after classes, so he would just practice his shooting in the gym on his own, much to his delight.

As soon as he changed into his gym clothes he took out a ball then started dribbling it. It was really quiet in the gym, only the sound of the ball accompanying him. Not much squeaking of basket ball shoes, no shouts from his teammates, and no loud Takao.
Believe it or not, he was quite fond of the point guard, but he would never say that out loud.

The boy was obnoxious, he kept on calling Midorima in an overly familiar manner, he kept on bugging the other, his oh-so-loud voice ticks him off, but, even though these are all true to the former miracle, he sometimes enjoys the latter's company, how he provided him with the tape for his fingers whenever he ran out, how he easily coordinated with his plays, how his eyes fire up with confidence whenever they were about to play a match.

This certain teen was the first to ever make Midorima feel like what he feels as of the moment. He truly was fond of the kid. Maybe fond wasn't the right term for it; it could be 'like' or it could even be, what the bespectacled boy would never even thought of feeling, love.

Why would he even think that he actually loves him? Maybe it was just him overthinking. But, what if that wasn't the case? Could he actually like Takao Kazunari? Sure, he didn't mind him hanging around every now and then. So what if he likes to watch the latter play while he was on the bench? It was only to observe his movements.

He could simply be an infatuation.

But, that does not explain why he would go through the trouble on finding the obnoxiously happy-go-lucky idiot, lucky items-small ones so that they're not noticeable-every now and then.

Back then when they lost to Seirin and he went out by himself to mope in the rain, Takao was the one who found him and stayed with him, and for some odd reason, deep inside, he felt a tinge of happiness. So maybe, just maybe, he actually liked the teen.

He shot a basket, then two, then three, four, five shots; he went into position and was about to shoot another one, that was until-

"SURPRISE!" shouted out the guys from the team, right out of no where, it almost gave him a heart attack. "Happy birthday!" they continued, adding what they called him, the loudest cheer was from none other than the hawk eyed boy himself, Takao. He was shouting the loudest, and once they gave the birthday boy his presents, Takao had the largest, and it was a bigger version of his lucky item for the day, he was thankful for that.

Suddenly, the previous thought came back, does he like him, or not?

He glanced at the said teen, seeing him laughing with his teammates was, for some reason, a warming sight.

Yeah, for sure, he now admits that he really did like him.

A small smile tugged on his lips.

It really had been a while since he actually enjoyed the date wherein he was born.

Mostly now that a certain idiot came into his life.