Trauma

"Please save me"

-----------------------

Out of almost seven months of being married to this man, I've never seen him so furious until that night he threw my jacket at my face.

I tried explaining myself, by telling him all the false reasons as to why I was over Louis house that day to have left my jacket. Needless to say, he didn't believe me. My eye is almost healed and they just took the cast off my hand. The energy in our home hasn't been the same since that very day he walked in angry, he even checks the mileage on my car so I can't go anywhere without him knowing.

It was all my fault. I shouldn't have called Louis, I shouldn't have been sneaking out, I shouldn't have been spending so much time with him, I shouldn't have even thought about catching feelings for him. I deserve everything Nick did to me, I basically cheated on him. I'm just going to be a good house husband and do whatever it takes to not get Nick upset anymore. I honestly love him so much and want us to work out, I really do.

The house is already cleaned up and now I'm preparing for dinner. I chopped the onions on the cutting board listening to the news on the television that was on in the living room.

"A strong talk on abuse in marriages crossing the U.S these past couple years have dramatically increased."

I continued to chop and shook my head at how awful it is for people in abusive relationships.

"Today we have Cathy Marie who is willing to speak out on her abusive relationship with her ex-husband."

I looked up at the tv to see this Cathy. She had long orange hair, sparkling brown eyes, and perfectly white teeth. She was beautiful. I went back to chopping and waited to hear what she had to say.

"So Cathy, how did the beginning of this old relationship happen? Was it kind of bad to begin with or--how was it?" The interviewer asked her.

"Well when me and him dated for a long while our relationship was great. We laughed, shared stories, talked about travel. It was all so very perfect." She said.

"When did it begin to go down hill?" Said the interviewer.

"A couple months after we got married." She said.

I looked at the screen again and ended up cutting my finger while chopping. "Shit." I swore and moved to the sink to wash the cut. I added a band-aid and decided to sit and listen to this story some more.

"How did he start acting?"

"Well, it seemed like everyday he would get angrier. He would yell and throw things over situations that weren't even serious."

"When did he first put his hands on you?"

"About four months in. We argued about something stupid and he struck me across my face. I should have ran right when he first hit me, but I thought I was in love and that it was just an angry mistake."

"What did he say after he first hit you?"

"He said 'oh my god. Cathy I'm so sorry, I didn't mean too I swear. I love you.' Then he hugged me and I believed him."

"When did you realize it was abuse instead of mistakes?"

"It unfortunately took me far too long to truly realize the animal he really was. We had a daughter and it got worse. The moment he put his hands on my little girl I finally snapped into reality. I left him, divorced him, got a restraining order on him and got the judge to get me full custody of my daughter. Three years later I re-married and couldn't be happier." She said smiling. I was happy for her.