five

welcome to jurassic world

The next day, Elliot was able to sleep in about an hour later than she normally got to, since she didn't have anywhere to be until nine-thirty. She woke up feeling much better than she had the previous night, and got up to shower. After she had washed her hair, she felt refreshed and ready to take on the day. Since she wasn't technically working that day, instead of her uniform, Elliot decided to wear a mint green t-shirt with a pair of denim shorts and her black combat boots. She threw her hair into a braid and headed out into the kitchen to grab breakfast, since she had time.

What surprised her was to find her dad in the kitchen seemingly cooking up a storm. Elliot smelled slightly burnt toast and bacon. "What's all this?" She asked as she sat down at the kitchen table.

Her dad turned around, holding a spatula in one hand and a skillet in the other. "Breakfast," He said, as if it was obvious.

"You never make breakfast," Elliot said, raising an eyebrow. "And your toast is burning, by the way."

Owen cursed and put the skillet down before leaping at the toaster, removing the just barely charred pieces of toast from it. He dropped them on two plates, wincing slightly. "Yeah, I know," He said. "But you made dinner, so I only thought it was fair if I had to make breakfast this morning."

Elliot could tell that he still felt bad about what had happened the previous night and this breakfast was an attempt to make up for it. It was a nice thought, even if the toast was burnt, so Elliot decided to just smile and accept his cooking with thanks.

The toast wasn't half bad when she coated it in butter, and the bacon was actually decent as well. Elliot didn't have any complaints as the two ate together at the breakfast table. "So, where are you taking Claire's nephews today?" Her dad asked in attempt to get some casual breakfast conversation started. He took a huge bite out of his toast.

"Wherever they want to go, I guess." Elliot shrugged. "It'll be cool though, to experience the park as a guest instead of a worker for once. Maybe I can show them the petting zoo behind the scenes."

"Sounds like a plan." Owen nodded. "Just stay out of trouble."

Elliot pointed at herself, a fake shocked expression on her face. "Who, me? Get into trouble? I must say, good sir, I'm offended." She folded her arms across her chest and stuck her nose in the air in the most pretentious way possible.

Her dad snorted and rolled his eyes. "Yeah, yeah, okay, Madame." He flicked a piece of bacon at her.

"Gross!" Elliot exclaimed, throwing it back at him.

***

They left the bungalow around nine, and Owen dropped Elliot off at the entrance to the park, giving her plenty of time to make her way over to the visitor's center. She said her goodbyes to her dad and headed off, weaving her way through the crowd and up the steps to the visitor center. Inside, it was huge. There were holographic dinosaurs being projected in the center where kids were oohing and ahhing at the creatures.

The innovation center was really more of an educational center for the littler kids. They could pretend to dig up dinosaur bones, learn about the process of genetic engineering, and about other aspects of dinosaur life, both sixty-five million years ago and today.

Elliot checked her watch, it was nine-twenty two. So she was right on time. She glanced over at the visitor center's front door just as two boys pushed them open together, followed by an almost flustered looking Zara, who seemed to be struggling to keep up with them. Those two must have been Claire's nephews.

The taller boy had dark hair. He was wearing a red t-shirt with a gray jacket and blue jeans. Elliot wasn't sure how practical that outfit was going to be in Costa Rica. Just because it was December didn't mean it wasn't scorching hot. He also had a pair of headphones hanging around his neck and looked pretty bored. She had a feeling he didn't really want to be there.