Chapter 1

Chapter 1

The ringing of my alarm coursed through my eardrums. Sitting up from my bed, I stretched my arms above my head and turned off the alarm.

Putting my feet to the smooth wood floors, I shuffled my way over to my window. Pushing aside my white sheer curtains, I pushed the window open as a cool breeze wafted into my room. I closed my eyes as the wind chimes in the front yard serenaded me with an early morning song accompanied by the rustling of the leaves.

Opening my eyes, I slowly danced my way to the bathroom across the floor.

Letting my hair loose from the braid it was tied in, it flowed down to my chest in brown waves. Quickly brushing my teeth, I always showered at night, I exited from the bathroom and walked over to the closet.

I pulled my school uniform neatly hanging on a hanger from the knob of the closet door and placed it on my bed.

I slipped out of my white nightgown, folding it neatly before placing it down on my bed.

Quickly dressing in my collared white button up shirt, black knee socks plaid skirt, and navy blue school sweater, I dashed over to my window to shut it before grabbing my back pack from the desk chair and school shoes from beside my bedroom door.

Making my way down the spiral stairs, I passed through the corridor and into the kitchen.

Sitting down at the table, I placed my shoes on the floor and my back pack on the chair next to me.

"Good morning Jade." The maid, Maureen, cheerfully greeted me as she entered the kitchen.

"Good morning Maureen." I smiled widely, folding my hands in my lap.

"Sorry Jade, didn't see you there. Mornin'." The cook, Scott, said from the stove.

"It's alright Scott, good morning." I smiled.

"I'm making your favorite, blueberry pancakes." He smiled at me as he flopped two onto a glass plate.

"Yum." My mouth watered at the thought of them. Scott's pancakes were certainly the best in the world.

He set the plate in front of me, placing a glass of orange juice next to it and maple syrup in front of the plate.

"Thank you very much Scott." I smiled widely as he nodded and walked back to the stove.

I noticed Maureen exiting the kitchen in the direction of the living room with dusting tools.

"Oh, Maureen." I called causing her to stop in her tracks and turn to me.

"Yes?" She smiled.

I unzipped my backpack, taking a box I had carefully wrapped in sparkly white wrapping paper and taped a pink bow to the top.

Pushing myself from the table, I walked towards her. I handed her the box, "Happy 31st birthday."

"Aw sweetie, you didn't have to do that for me." She smiled widely, tears in her eyes.

"Of course I did, open it." I told her.

She nodded, placing the cleaning supplies down and gently tearing at the wrapping.

She opened the slim box to reveal a silver charm bracelet with three charms on it, a heart, a butterfly and a star.

She pulled me into a hug, "Thank you so much Jade, I love it."

I laughed, "My pleasure."

Once we pulled away, I helped her in securing the bracelet on her wrist. She thanked me once more before picking up her cleaning supplies and walking off in the direction of the living room.