Chapter Four

Gwen was starting to worry about her brother. She and Mark had been secretly dating for about a month. This included a quick kiss when Jamie went to the bathroom, holding hands out of his line of sight, and occasionally walking to her apartment together. Mark had gone a bit farther though by visiting while Jamie was home, with the excuse that he wanted to hang out with Jamie. I mean...it's kind of obvious. Mark and I have been acting differently around each other. Even Clark noticed.

When she glanced over at the counter, she saw that Clark was staring. What is he-? Her thought was cut short when she realized that she was not alone. Turning her head, she saw that at some point Dan had decided to join her. How did I not notice him? Was I really that wrapped up in ordering supplies? The girl slid her headphones off and let her hair fall over her eyes. "Um...when did you get here?"

"About half an hour ago. What are you doing?"

"Just ordering stuff..." Gwen frowned, scanning the order form. It looks right. An absurd amount of cups, ingredients for the bakery, swirly straws, those weird Minecraft napkins. She tilted her head. "We can't possibly go through cups that fast."

"I thought business was picking up," Dan commented. "I brought you a frappe, but it melted."

Gwen finished the order and glanced at the time. It's already past noon. Mark hasn't come by at all today. Is he alright? He didn't text me. What if he's sick? She pulled her phone from her pocket and sent him a quick message. It's just weird not to hear from him like this. I hope he's okay.

"What are you doing after work?"

"What? Um...well I have to go to the store...actually, I should be going now so...I'll see you tomorrow, Dan." She packed up her computer and went up to the counter. "Clark."

He jumped a little and turned away from the coffee maker. "Huh?! Oh. Hey, Gwen. You're heading out?"

"Yeah...I need to get stuff for dinner. What do you think we should have? I know you're coming over so..."

"Something with chicken."

Gwen couldn't help but smirk. Chicken for a chicken. "Alright. Chicken stir-fry it is."The walk home was very quiet, leaving her alone with her thoughts. She was still a little worried about Mark. He hasn't sent me a text back. I wish I at least knew that he's alright. He's probably just doing this to tease me. He likes making me worry. I know he does. Gwen closed her eyes and let the cool breeze blow through her hair. Well...whatever. I don't care. If he wants to mess with me, I'll just ignore it.

The cats greeted her with frantic meows for their lunch. Gwen fed them, discarded her hoodie, and then flopped onto the couch with her phone. Why hasn't he answered me? She nearly fell off the couch when she heard a knock at the door. "Um...j-just a second!" When she opened the door, she wanted to slap the visitor. "Where were you?! I was worried! You didn't even text me back!" Gwen resisted the urge to slap Mark, but just barely.

Mark simply gave her that same smile he always did. "I wanted to have some time alone with you. Jamie won't be home until three today, right?" He walked in, sliding past her.

She frowned disapprovingly, but closed the door. "So...um...I actually need to go shopping soon."

"I won't stay long. I just want to hang out for a while," he persisted.

"Sure...I guess." Gwen tucked a lock of long black hair behind her ear, not sure what to think. I need to grab my purse from my room before I go out though. I could just get it and leave it on the table until he leaves. He won't stay long, right? "I'll be right back."