CH-2

“It’s time”,Those two words echo in my mind, each syllable a drumbeat in the death march of my freedom. I've known this was inevitable as dawn, yet I still feel a jolt of shock. It's really happening. They're really doing this to me. Me, a pawn in their game of thrones and alliances.

I glanced in the mirror, barely recognizing the stranger reflected back. The girl with the wild curls and laughter-lit eyes is gone, smothered under layers of satin and pearls. I'm a doll now, a pretty trinket to be bestowed upon a man I've never once met. A man with a title and a scowl, not a prince from any fairy tale I'd want to be part of.

My heart races, a bird battering its wings against my ribs. I want to run, to flee this castle and its stifling expectations. But where would I go? The world outside these gilded cages is unknown, likely worse. At least here I'll have food and shelter, even if my soul withers away.I've been raised for compliance, not defiance.

I take a shaky breath, my palms slick with sweat. I can do this. I have to. One day at a time, one hour, one minute. And who knows? Maybe I'll find a way to reclaim myself in the shadows of this marriage. Maybe I'll find a way to make them regret underestimating me.

The door opens, a soft rustle of silk, as my maami comes over to take me to the mandap(aisle). It's time. I square my shoulders, a spark of determination kindling in my chest. Let's get this over with. Let's go meet my prince charming.
As I step onto the aisle, a sea of unfamiliar faces blurs before me. The air is heavy with the scent of incense and roses, the drone of the shehnai buzzing in my ears. I focus on placing one foot in front of the other, the weight of my lehenga dragging at my ankles. I have my face covered with the dupatta, so no one finds out until after the marriage, a genius plan schemed by the greatest to ever exist, my maami, I mean only after Einstein and Newton, god these guys ruined my childhood with their theories, but i guess I’m deflecting from the main topic here,god I do talk a lot in my mind. Shut up,Nyra, came a voice from my consciousness,” you’re about to marry a guy, not just any random guy but a prince at that, why don’t you worry about that”. But hey at least he'll have a nice castle right?.
At the far end of the aisle, a figure waits. My groom. His face is a mask of solemnity, his eyes fixed forward. There's no warmth in his gaze. He doesn't recognize me. He thinks I'm my cousin, the girl he was supposed to marry. The girl who ran away rather than be tied down to a man she didn't love. Well,no one gets what they want anyway. Deep breaths Nyru Deep breaths .
The moment I stand in front of him . He just gives a single glance then again looks forward. How romantic.

As the moment arrives for the sindoor-daan, my heart races with a mix of anticipation and fear. Little do they know, I am not the one they expect me to be. I am a replacement, a stranger in this grand affair.

I felt someone remove my veil and I tightly shut my eyes due to fear . His hands stop mid-way and the only thing I hear is the loud gasps of everyone. No one uttered a single word . It felt like minutes but no one said anything and I was dying here because of the silence and anxiety so I thought better of me and opened my eyes and the first thing I saw was a pair of brown eyes. Brown eyes with a tint of gold is so rare that it must not be true. And the only thing my stupid mouth could utter was
“ Your eyes remind me of chocolate” .
And then realisation struck me, what I have said especially in front of everyone, when my veil was removed.
(Utha le re deva utha le , kabhi chup nhi reh sakti jab rehna chahiye).

The moment we make eye contact again I swear I saw amusement in his eyes but again it must be my imagination because now just as he narrowed his eyes  he realises what's in front of him is definitely what he never expected. He doesn't care to hide his reaction.  Shock, realisation, anger flashes across his eyes.
“Who are you?”