Chapter 1

James Potter awakes with a start and sits up, banging his head on something hard in the process.

"Ow! What the-" he starts, looking around wildly, but all he can see is the darkness.

"James?"

Immediately, James' head spins round and his eyes fall on the redhead beside him.

"Lily!" James yelps, flinging himself towards her. "What happened, I thought we died-"

"I think we did James" Lily says quietly. "Why else would we be in a coffin?"

"A..." James looks around. "Oh merlin... How are we... How did we survive?"

"I don't know, but I do know we need to get out of here" Lily says and then puts her hand in her robes pocket.

"Oh my" she says softly, a small smile on her face. "They buried us with our wands"

"What about... LILY" James suddenly yells, grabbing his own wand and looking determined. "HARRY! Where's Harry?!"

Lily's face falls. "I tried to save him.."

She begins to cry quietly and James wraps an arm around her.

"Shhh Lils, please" his voice breaks as he comforts his wife. "We're getting out of here"

James blasts open the coffin with his wand, shielding himself and Lily as the dirt falls on them.

"C'mon" he coughs once he clears it away. "We have to sort this out"

---

In a flash Lily and James were outside their house. Or what was left of it.

"I can't believe this happened to it" Lily mumbled, attempting to put on a brave face. "It used to be so perfect.."

"I miss it too" James says, his voice considerably steadier. "Let's go in"

The memories in the house were almost too much for Lily. She could remember feeding Harry in the kitchen, rolling her eyes when he chucked his food across the room. James always laughed.

As the couple stepped into what used to be Harry's room, their hearts dropped. Harry's cot was lying broken on its side, his toys spread all over he floor. There was no blood, but the killing spell doesn't leave traces, unlike the others.

"No..." James whispered, sinking to the floor beside Lily. "not Harry... not my little boy.."

A strangled sob escaped his lips as he started shaking. All Lily could do was stare. She stared at Harry's crib, she stared at his toys strewn all over the ground, and finally she stared at her husband. James was now muttered inaudible things and rocking on his heels, staring straight at the wall.

"James" Lily whispered, finally letting her tears fall.

Almost as if he had fallen out of a trance, James' bloodshot eyes snapped towards Lily and he stood up, wrapping her in a tight hug.

There were no "it's okay"s or "it will all be fine"s as they stood there, hands entwined, both trying to hold back their tears.

Short chapter, it's just an intro ✌🏻️I hope you're enjoying the story so far😇

-Amy