The First Reconciliation (Illescas, Capítulo 43)

Background: This one-shot takes place Cap 43 after Marta finds out that Fina has told Carmen about their love affair. Fina begs Marta to meet at the hotel in Illescas so they can talk about it and come to a solution. Once Marta arrives, Fina realizes Marta is there to end their relationship. However, Marta has a change of heart when Fina tells Marta she prefers to break up if it means Marta will not suffer any longer. That is when Marta realizes that she can't live without Fina-and that she deserves the love that Fina has to offer, and she has to be brave.}

FINA POV:

Fina feels the warmth and weight of someone's body pressed up against her. She must be dreaming because she swears that is Marta's perfume that she smells. It's that that intoxicating smell of vanilla and sandalwood. She tries to move and realizes that she isn't dreaming. She opens her eyes and adjusts to the darkness of the room. She peers down to see Marta cuddled up in the crook of her shoulder. Recognition of where she is dawns on her- they're in their hotel room in Illescas. They must have fallen asleep. The last thing Fina remembers is taking off Marta's coat and removing her shoes. Marta had looked at her questioningly. Fina had then taken Marta's purse which she was grasping on to for dear life, and placed it on the chair. Fina had tumbled into the bed above the covers, telling Marta, "Ven aquí". Marta had accepted the invitation swiftly, and had fallen into Fina's arms, wrapping herself around her waist. They had both sighed, from contentment but and emotional exhaustion. The last several days had been intense with Carmen and then Isidro finding out about them. Fina knew that Marta would be upset, but what she had not expected was Marta's fury. Marta was so scared. And so was she. But, she knew she wouldn't renounce Marta, nor their relationship. On the other hand, Marta had doubted them. She looked down at Marta's sleeping form again. She was relieved that they were together still. At least in this hotel room, they could be free.

Just then, Marta wiggles against her, but makes no effort to wake. Fina slowly moves to extricate herself from her, gets up from the bed, and makes her way to the bathroom. She briefly stops to check her watch which is lying haphazardly on the corner table- it was midnight. They have slept for many hours, wrapped in each other's arms. When she opens the door, she sees that Marta has moved again, as if trying to wake up. Fina leaves the light of the bathroom on to illuminate the room so she can find her overnight bag where and find her nightgown and robe. Quietly, she begins to undress, removing her skirt, and then her sweater and blouse. As she slips the flower covered sleeveless nightgown on, she hears the bed springs creek, and Marta's breath become less even. She turns to see Marta slowly waking from her deep sleep, looking around as if trying to orient herself. Fina pads over to Marta's side of the bed and slowly taps her on her shoulder.

"The sleeping beauty wakes."

Marta slowly turns and peers over at Fina, her eyes still adjusting to the light. "What time is it?"

Fina sits on the side of the bed, and strokes the curls out of Marta's eyes. "It's past midnight," Fina whispers.

As Marta takes Fina in her nightgown in, Fina explains,

"I brought my sleep clothes, thinking... well, hoping, we would spend the night together. It doesn't make sense to go back to Toledo now," Fina reasons.

Marta sits up in the bed, and seems to contemplate their choices. "No, I suppose it doesn't make sense. We can leave early tomorrow."

"At the crack of dawn," Fina adds.

Marta looks at FIna's sleep wear jealously. "I didn't pack anything." Marta looks sheepish, because that an admission that she was planning to come to the hotel to end things and without anticipating her change of heart.

"It's ok, amor," Fina says. "I can lend you my robe."

"No it's not necessary," Marta says, "i can sleep in my camisole."