CHAPTER NINETEEN.

pairing: king!coriolanus snow x fem!reader

series summary: the king of panem is in search of a bride. and, for reasons you can never understand, coriolanus snow has set his sights on you. it would never be a happy marriage, you're sure of that. but none of that matters, because when snow decides he wants something, he will do everything in his power to ensure it is his.

chapter summary: you and coriolanus return to the capitol.

word count: 2,224

series warnings?: 18+ MINORS DNI, royal au, regency au, arranged marriage, rivals to lovers, obsessive!coryo, jealous!coryo, protective!coryo, eventual smut, eventual pregnancy, more tags to be added later

chapter warnings?: fluff, implied smut, pet name (petal), not proofread

Coriolanus stared at the cat. Coriolanus the Cat stared back. Ever since things improved between you and him, the cat had been less hostile. But less hostile for the cat still was not pleasant. Sometimes, it would hiss at him when he walked in the room. Or it would swat at him whenever he leaned in to steal a kiss from you. You would always laugh at the cat's antics—Coriolanus was certain this only encouraged it. You never did seem to believe him when he said the cat shot him smug looks.

"I think you're losing the staring contest," you murmured, your eyes shut.

He looked down at you. You had fallen asleep in the carriage ride back to the Capitol. Your face had been pressed against his bicep within minutes of departing the cottage, quiet snores soon following. He wished he could have played with your hair. Alas, it was back tied up in elaborate updos that was befitting of a Queen. Coriolanus preferred it when you were just you.

"Well, you just made me lose, petal."

Your eyes fluttered open. They held no trace of the sleep you'd awoken from. Instead, they twinkled as you peered up at him. "Such a tragedy. I shall have to make it up to you."

Coriolanus grinned. "Yes, I suppose you shall."

"Just set the terms, my love, and I will fulfill them."

He almost felt like a little boy with the glee you filled him with. Never had he felt so happy, so content, with his life. Ever since he was young, Coriolanus had been fighting his way to the top of the ladder. Now, he was here and he had everything he wanted. A kingdom to rule, sure, but that paled in comparison to the shimmering jewel you were. "You'll live to regret that, petal," he teased.

"The only thing I regret is giving you such a hard time from the beginning. If I knew I would come to love you so, I would have been kinder."

His stomach flipped. This was everything he ever could have hoped for. Coriolanus leaned his head on top of yours. "I'm grateful you weren't. I loved you because you're a spitfire. You always were so certain about everything. It made me want to be the sort of the man you would actually want."