Chapter 16

🔞 Clandestine fight

🔞 Clandestine fight

As the car gains speed, they enter Kakuchikō territory in Shinjuku.
An area with a strong Yakuza presence. The charged atmosphere permeated the narrow streets that led to the heart of the underworld, where clandestine struggles rose like temples of brutality and despair.

The Waru competition brings together several fighters from across the Japanese underworld from various districts of Japan. The rules are minimal, biting, attacking the opponent's genital organ or the opponent's face is not allowed when he is knocked out, the rest is free.
The knockout is paid in dollars and shakes up the betting underworld in Japan. For those used to UFC and MMA fights, Waru may seem like a coliseum. Fighters are not athletes and many have no technique at all. The fights are closer to those that take place on the streets, in an anything-goes style.
Most fighters survived in unusual conditions of Japanese society. They grew up on the streets and went through all kinds of trials. Their lives were threatened, which is why the Waru tournament fights are perfect.

The Haitani brothers' car, along with the motorcycles and many other things, had been bought with the money from the fights. The violence generated income for the home and the money was used to pay their bills, as well as enjoy a good life without difficulty.
Rindou had been invited to participate in these fights, after someone recorded a fight of him against three guys, using his jiu jitsu skills, and posted it on the internet. In two weeks, it went viral.
It was a remarkable feat, which caught the attention of Waru's creator, making him come to him proposing a fight, worth money this time.
The Haitani brothers at the time didn't have much money. And Rindou agreed. Afterwards, he never stopped. The business was small at the beginning, but now they make real money. Fights bring a lot of high stakes. Being publicized on the internet as well. Every year there is the underground championship and Rindou has already won it once. This year will be the second.

The abandoned warehouse looked like the stage for a rock concert.
Outside, they could hear the screams and applause of the people inside and the vibration on the ground. As the street was commercial and all the stores had their doors closed at such an ungodly hour, it was kind of easy to imagine why they had chosen that place. Of course, if the police arrived, a lot of people would be pretty screwed.
Clandestine fights were strongly prohibited in Japan, with the possibility of imprisonment for those involved.
Underage drinking, watching clandestine fights and driving drunk then...? A full plate for the police.
Police? The big guys had ties to the police. Some police officers even pay to watch the fight.
So there would be no problem with someone being arrested.

There were only two ways to enter the warehouse and that was through an old steel door guarded by two huge men looking like the Hulk and another, at the bottom, directed at the entrance only for fighters, which was also guarded in the same way.
Rindou grabbed the strap of his gym bag that rested on his shoulder and took the first step towards the back of the warehouse, but not before waving at his brother.