Chapter 8

"Weeping willow tree
Tell me what you know
River were you cryin'
Many rains ago? ((Koleba je wo)

Sacred baobab tree
Lost your children to the sea
Taken from the land
Many rains ago

Koleba je wo (goodbye Motherland)
Koleba je wo
Wo, wo, wo

Sing me that old song
From many rains ago..."

Letta Mbulu – "Many Rains Ago (Oluwa)"

Warmth spread across Yani's closed eyelids first before it spread like warm honey across her throat and uncovered arm. The weight of N'Jadaka's body clutching onto hers pressed down more heat into her, and his soft snoring creased a smile on her lips.

Their lovemaking wore them both out before dawn unfurled light and color back into the morning sky. Her body ached and still tingled. The king's touches from the night before were ghostly echoes on her skin.

Yani steeped herself in their perfect love.

How long had it been since they were allowed to sleep in together without their kimoyos lighting up and automatically dispatching their hectic work schedules for the day as their children bounded about their home ready to start their busy day too?

Birds chirped in the branches above the open skylight. She watched a fiery orange pair with natural feathers boas fluffed out under their chubby necks peer down at her with curiosity. The air smelled like the forest had been dusted with perfume. It was the wet season in Wakanda and all of East Africa. The seasons were different from what she was accustomed to in her old island life. Back home it would be the dry season with less rain. The odor of heavy moisture saturated the air, and she hoped another periodic rainfall didn't occur on their planned hike and picnic above the waterfall.