ELAINE

Elaine lived on the top shelf of Mrs Wineberry's home. She loved looking at her from where she hung, and how she would come into her study room and pull out a book. The lovely lady loved to read. She loved every book and would sit for hours, reading until she was tired. Elaine admired her so much and wished she could read like her. I wonder what is in those books, she thought to herself. She would lower herself and peek at every page Mrs Wineberry turned. They had a lot of pictures. Beautiful pictures, and they appeared to be very nice. Elaine would listen to Mrs Wineberry read out loud, as if she were telling someone the stories. The young woman was alone with her books, which made Elaine sad. The poor creature wished she could talk to her because her loneliness bothered her. "If only I could talk to Mrs Wineberry," she sighed, as a flicker of light caught her attention. "Ouch. That's very bright!" She groaned.

"Looks like someone needs my help."

The small spider shivered on her web.

"No, don't be scared," the voice said calmly. "You do not have to be, little one," a small lady appeared. She had sparkly wings and wore a matching gown, as well as a petite red pump shoe that matched her outfit, and she carried a wand.

"What are you?" Elaine observed her.

The little woman replied, "Not what. It's who?" She corrected Elaine.

Elaine gasped, realizing the woman could understand her. "No one has ever understood me," she said, intrigued.

"Well, I do now," the woman said, laughing.

Elaine could only stare, completely surprised.

"I've seen how you've cared for the young widow," the little lady continued.

"What's a widow?" inquired the innocent Elaine.

"Oh, you are too young to know," the woman replied.

"But I am not young," Elaine begged her visitor to explain what she meant. "Please tell me,"

But the woman declined. "My, look at the time," she said, switching quickly. "Now, be quiet. We don't have much time," she hurriedly said. "By the way, my name is Griselda," she finally introduced herself.

Elaine forgot about the 'widow' term and moved right on the shelf, expressing her delight. "Nice to meet you, Griselda," she said with a smile.

Griselda smiled and waved her wand as Elaine watched, and it wasn't long before the spider grew twelve times her size and the shelf could not hold her.

"Whoa!" Elaine exclaimed in surprise.

"Oops. That wasn't supposed to happen," Griselda said, placing her right hand over her lips.

"Well, yeah?" Elaine let out an excited yell.

Griselda was about to flick her wand again when the doorknob to the study room turned with a click.

"Someone is coming," Elaine said, but Griselda was nowhere to be found.

The enormous spider was left in the room once more, as a tired Mrs Wineberry entered.

"Hi, Mrs. Wineberry,"

The terrified woman let out a loud yell when she saw the monstrous spider.

"Please, Ma'am. Don't be scared. Please don't yell. I won't hurt you," Elaine begged, feeling scared as well. She tried to calm her down by moving closer to her, but Mrs Wineberry fled for her life.

"A talking spider! A talking spider...!" Elaine could hear her yelling. The poor spider was devastated to learn that she had scared the young widow, and she searched for the little lady, but she was nowhere to be found.

"If only I had not made that wish," Elaine sighed in deep regret. All she wanted was to keep Mrs Wineberry company without scaring her away.

Torn with pain, bitter tears streaming down her cheeks at the realization she would remain a giant spider, she scurried away, hating herself and wishing she had just kept to herself.