6

"'Shehnaaz, I'm 22," told her matter-of-factly

"Right." Tears rolled down her cheeks, and then it dawned on me that she had been in love with me since my birth.

Holy motherfucking shit!

"You-"

"Yes." She began to cry silently, covering her face with her hands. I didn't stop her; I was in shock. Deep shock.

The air thickened between us as we both lapsed into a heavy silence.

"'Sid— Sidharth,' she sounded embarrassed seeing me silent for over five minutes now. She looked scared, wondering what I must be thinking about her. Was she creepy? Crazy? An idiot? Or a cougar?

I wasn't thinking any of that. All I could think about was how lucky I was to have someone love me so much without truly knowing me. After all, I left for America when I was just six months old. I had changed so much without her knowledge, yet she continued to love me, without any expectations. There was a high chance I might never come back, that we might never meet again in life. Yet she still loved me. I was amazed by her selfless love for me.

"I have a question." My voice was serious. "And I need an answer to it."

She nodded silently. "Please don't hate me."

How could she think that?

l cupped her beautiful face in my hands. "I don't hate you, darling. I could never hate you. Rest assured."

She nodded silently. "Sidharth, I'm not a cougar. My love for you was innocent. It evolved over time. As I grew up, my feelings for you grew stronger."

"I know," I nodded. "No need to explain. Okay?"

"Okay." She looked at me like a lost puppy. I swear to God, I just wanted to kiss her passionately, to show her how lucky I felt and how much I loved her.

"Now tell me, if l never come back here, or if we never meet again in this life, would you still—" My voice faltered; I already knew the answer. But I needed to hear it from her, just to be sure. "Would you still keep loving me? Waiting for me? For life?"

She stayed quiet for a moment, then answered, "For me, love means you. Just you. So, it's a yes."

I lost my damn mind in happiness.

"Sidharth—" Her words were cut off by my mouth. I kissed her ever so gently, with so much love and passion, to tell her how much I love her. To tell her how lucky I am to have her and to dispel all her fears, insecurities, and doubts from her mind and heart.