trapped

[timeskip to Dog Crisis Arc]

Keith pov

"Come on, Keith! she's just a kid." Kurt said, but I couldn't take any chances.

"When she rats us out to mommy and daddy, it's all over." My eyes remained unwavering as I lifted a knife I found in the far secluded corner of the rusty cabinet.

It felt like the drawers had once served a greater purpose than sitting in an abandoned apartment, but still, I tossed the weapon to my comrade. As Kurt swung the knife skillfully in front of the child, I could feel the fear and admiration lighting a spark inside her, waiting to be ignited.

"Say-" Hot Girl Summer's tune rang out across the room, and our first instinct was to drop the phone.

"

The room became unreadable, dread creeping up behind us.

And further away, was the distant figure of ﷼⫋؋Σ wearing a hannya mask. Obsidian black with splatters of dried blood, the crimson red at the bottom like dancing fire, the flames licking the cheekbones.

Bewitching violet eyes held us spellbound as the edges of their lips, the disguise distorting into an oni, and with a clap of thunder the illusion dissipated. I quivered at the sight, then I suddenly remembered.

Short pink hair, 4 years old and green eyes. That's all the file described, but the rejuvenated kid here looks nothing like the sort, no hints of needle marks on the arms nor legs.

Test subject #007.

Anya pov

The gangsters all seem to understand collectively, locking eyes and cautiously advancing towards me.

"Mother would be so proud of me when she hears I've completed my first job!"

"This girl is classified as highly dangerous. Should we be approaching her with such ease?"

"Careful, just speak nicely. She didn't notice since me since I was guarding the guns. Pfft, she looks incapable of even hurting a fly."

"Why am I even here? Oh yeah. The ransom."

Were they not aware that the bomb is still strapped in place? Time was ticking away, and fast. I was about to run to the doggies, and swiftly in one fell swoop Logan had me by the leg, and tossed me inside a white van. My memory twinged, a fuzzy memory coming to mind.

Wasn't this car identical to the one Mama drove on our way back home after Papa had rescued Anya?

I beamed brightly as I sat in the car, happy to get a free ride home. What a day! I can't wait to tell Becky about the exciting adventures I had, from meeting the big white doggy to being escorted home by a gang of pro-hitmen! She would surely be like:

"Wow Anya, you're so cool! Let's meet my father tomorrow after school!" I'll greet his dad, and Papa and Becky's dad become friends! And then it will be easy peasy lemon squeezy:"Gahh! You're acquainted with Becky's family?! That's super awesome, I bet Father would also love to know your dad better! Come over to my mega big mansion, and we can watch cartoons all day!"

Papa is relieved, and World Peace is achieved! I'll call it..
The Super Duper Uper Flashy Plan: reach Papa's target through Anya's best friend! I smirked, giving the driver a thumbs up. Brilliant, if I must say so myself.
She wore an impassive face, but her eyebrows furrowed in resignation, anger, and...sadness.

"Listen here, we haven't got a lot of time, so pay close attention." She showed me a pocket watch and tapped the 3 o'clock symbol. "When it's quarter past 3 pm, the person who suggested this mad dog heist will appear, so run along to the police station. Turn a right, and at the second crossing turn left."