Brotherly Advice

The next morning, Branch felt more well-rested than ever in the last twenty years. But he looked up from where he slept and saw that he had fallen asleep on Floyd's lap. He scrambled off his older brother feeling embarrassed. Floyd was still asleep but Hickory gently woke him up with a kiss on the cheek. Branch saw Poppy was by the steering wheel handling the boat while Hickory was strumming his ukulele. Branch sat by the edge of the boat. Emotions were high after Biggie left the group to head back to Pop Village. Hickory continued playing on his ukulele while Branch debated telling Poppy how he felt about her.

He groaned then laid back thinking that it was hopeless. Hickory stood over Branch "Somethin' tells me your heart ain't in this mission, Branch." he said then held out his hand for Branch.

"What do you mean? I'm here, aren't I?" Branch stated as he took Hickory's hand and sat up.

"Yeah, you're on a mission, all right, but your heart is with Miss Poppy," Hickory said.

Floyd walked over to Branch and sat down beside him. "Hey, hold your horses!" Branch then glanced at Hickory since he is part horse, "I'm sorry, is that offensive?" Branch asked.

"Sweetheart. Not as offensive as you think, I can't see what's right in front of my eyes." Floyd said, wrapping his arm around Branch. "Did you tell her yet?"

"I tried. But it just blows up in my face." Branch stated to Floyd.

Floyd looked at Poppy and then back at Branch. He could tell that Branch had a huge crush on Poppy but Floyd didn't think that Poppy was good enough for his little brother. From just meeting Poppy, Floyd could tell that she wasn't a good listener or a good friend. He heard Hickory tell Branch that only one of them was doing the listening in this relationship and it was him. Floyd asked Hickory if he could give Branch and him some space to talk. Hickory agreed and left to check on Poppy. With him gone, Floyd scooted closer to Branch but he felt a little ashamed from last night.

"Branch. You ok?" Floyd asked.

"Yeah. Just a little embarrassed about last night." Branch confessed.

"Branch, be honest with me. What happened in the last twenty years? You have dark circles and faded colors, and you look like you could be blown away." Floyd asked.

Branch looked away from Floyd but he held Branch's hand and begged him to tell him what was going on. Branch had tears in his eyes as he spilled everything that had happened in the last twenty years. Floyd's heart broke hearing that Branch spent the last twenty years all alone. Floyd hugged Branch so tight that he didn't want to let go. "I should have come back sooner," Floyd muttered.

"Floyd..."

"No Branch. It's true. If I had known about Grandma then I would have dropped everything sooner and come back to take care of you. You're my baby brother, you always come first."

"Maybe dial back on the baby brother? I'm not a baby anymore."

"To me, you are. I care about you so much, Branch. And, Hickory is right, you are the only one who listens to Poppy and it doesn't seem like she listens to your opinion."

"It's just Poppy being Poppy. She's always like this."

"Branch, I know you like her. But I don't think Poppy feels the same about you. I fell in love with Hickory because we have that spark. We listen and respect each other. And I know that one day, you'll find someone who loves you for you."

Branch returned the hug and understood what his brother was saying.