Chapter 1

Ava's POV:

" Ava, Roge wants you there" Emily, my co-worker shouted as soon as she saw me entering the office.

"Good morning to you too Em" I muttered as I walked towards Roge's cabin, my heart racing with anticipation for what was to come. I knocked on the door and his voice echoed "Come in"

"Ava dear, I was looking for you. come have a seat"

I greeted him with a smile and sat down.

Mr. Roger aka Roge holds the esteemed position of editor-in-chief in our company. He's a true gem that brings a wealth of experience and knowledge to the table. His friendly demeanor and approachable nature make him a valuable asset to our team. Even though he is of a similar age to my father, we treat him as a friend and a colleague. He is a kind and patient mentor who takes the time to teach us everything he knows. and he does so with a genuine desire to see us succeed.

"I want you to attend Giovanni Group's press conference today," he said causing my eyes to widen with surprise.

The Giovanni Group is one of the largest luxury conglomerates in the states. " Allured" is the top 1 luxury brand under Giovanni Group that designs and manufactures luxurious high-end jewelry while competing with other leading jewelry brands, recording multi-billion dollar revenues annually.

they are holding a press conference to announce their seasons' collection this year.

" but sir, this isn't a topic I'm familiar with"

I immediately disagreed. I usually write about social issues. My will is to raise awareness about the struggle of underprivileged individuals while fashion and celebrity gossip might be of interest to some, but they aren't the topics that I typically cover in my articles.

"Ava' you're a journalist. You should explore every field. Don't limit yourself to a specific frame" He said with concern.

" Okay then" I said even though I have no interest, with a bored expression.

" Good, be prepared by 11, the conference is scheduled for 12.30 and they are serving a fancy lunch too"

I thanked him and returned to my seat to finish the pending work before leaving.

----------------------------------------------------

As I and John, one of our photographic journalists stood there, my eyes fixated on the towering structure before me. The magnificent, luxury hotel "The Royal" which is owned by none other than Giovanni Group. That was where the conference was being held.

We walked into the conference room and were surrounded by other journalists from different media channels and newspapers.

After a while the door opened and in walked the CEO of Giovanni Group, Benjamin Giovanni accompanied by his brother Sebastian Giovanni and the crew.

we all got seated as the conference started.

-----------------------------------------------------

During the conference, the company representatives talked about their profits from the summer collection, the quality of their products, estimated profits, etc. It was hella boring that I almost fell asleep. Then it's time for reporters to ask questions.

"What inspired your new collection?" Suddenly I found myself asking so and everyone's attention turned towards me. Benjamin Giovanni gave me a hard look before replying.

"It's an important question. Our new collection takes inspiration from flora and fauna along with...." He started explaining.

After a while, I felt someone's gaze on me. I looked up only to find the CTO, Sebastian Giovanni looking at me with a slight smirk on his lips. I instantly felt discomfort under his gaze but decided to ignore it and focus on my work.

The conference ended with me sighing out of relief. During the whole time, I was feeling so damn uncomfortable because of his gaze. Even though I wanted to skip lunch and go home, I couldn't do it as my team was still there.

"Enjoy the lunch, Ava. This is probably the first and the last chance for us to enjoy a very grand and fancy lunch buffet like this" John said excitedly making me smile a little.

"Don't even think about getting drunk. You're driving me home remember? I said trying to act stern.

"Yes madam, yes" With that he walked away.

I met up with some of our fellow journalists and decided to head towards the buffet section. John was right, the buffet was very fancy. There were a lot of cuisines and some, I couldn't even pronounce.

But being vegan, I decided to add a bit more Thai-style salad and some other vegetarian options to my plate.

"Pretty girls indeed eat more vegetables huh," Someone said making me startled. I looked up to find Sebastian Giovanni with his stupid smirk.

Sebastian Giovanni is a man in his early 30s. He is the only sibling of Benjamin Giovanni and the CTO of the company. He is a well-known playboy also a womanizer also a well-known rapist.I know it sounds far-fetched, but honestly, it's the truth. Giovannis have that much power, where they commit crimes but no one can punish them. Some say he has connections with the mafia and is responsible for many crimes that took place in NYC as well. But he wields an immense power that makes it impossible for anyone to bring him in front of justice.

"I have no idea, sir," I said and started walking away completely ignoring him. Suddenly he grabbed my arm making me alarmed.

"Not so soon Ava, I still didn't get the chance to know about you properly," He said eyes going down my body. Disgusting.

I jerked my hand free. Does he know my name? How the hell?

"Please maintain professionalism Mr. Sebastian People are watching. And I'm here for my work. I don't think you need to know about me" I said wearing my best stern face.

"feisty huh?" He said once again his eyes roaming through my clothed chest era.

"Come on Ava, you don't have to pretend. Every girl desperately needs my attention" He said, smirking.

I forcefully freed myself and practically ran away from him. I already lost my appetite. I just want to find John and leave this place.

...........................................................

Author's POV:

Ava searched for John and found him having fun with a bunch of other journalists. She immediately stepped towards him.

"I'm going home" She uttered with a sudden emergency in her voice.

"What? Why? What happened? " He asked surprised.

"Nothing, I just don't feel so good. I need to rest. You can stay here, I already ordered an Uber" She said.

"But Ava.. Wait, I'll drop you. Roge gave your responsible to me" He said grabbing his car keys.

"No John please, I'm not a child, you don't have to worry about me. My ride is on the way. I ain't going to the office anyways" Ava replied with a forced smile.

After much convincing, Ava was finally able to persuade John and leave the hotel. As she entered the Uber, her heart filled with a heavy feeling. Despite not being afraid, she couldn't help but sense unease. As a seasoned journalist, she sure had experienced some worse situations than this. But Giovannis weren't ordinary people for her to compete with. She was aware of their capabilities and the extent of their reach, which is why she has a bad feeling about this.

_______________________________

Please leave a like and a comment if you like the chapter. I appreciate it.🫶