May of 2021 in the United States

Ellie POV:

Having to work two jobs in a developed country like this is unacceptable. We have a broken economy, especially here in New York. We're also broke because of the worldwide crisis that's been going on for the past year. Everyone's lives have changed, except mine, at least for me. Despite the crisis, I've worked two jobs since I was sixteen, and lived in my own apartment struggling to pay rent since I was eighteen. It's sad that my family isn't able to help me financially because of our economic crisis. I just wish there was some sort of light to guide me through all the stress I've had.

A customer suddenly came up to her, his slurring words clearly proving his drunk status.

"Another beer."

"Sir, we're only limited to give customers three a night."

"I SAID ANOTHER BEER!"

"Should I go get my manager?" Ellie smirked.

The customer tried to punch her but she quickly ran off to find her manager. Not even a minute passed when the customer was kicked out.

Man, my life sucks. I wish I could do something about it.

As her shift ended for the night, she saw the newspaper that hung next to the bar's front door, with bold letters on the front saying DISVENTURE CAMP! The subhead below it said $1,000,000 DOLLAR PRIZE! 

Ellie smirked. She knew this could absolutely change her life. She could quit her jobs, go to college and study fashion design, hell, she could even move into a more luxury apartment. 

"This could change my life." She whispered. 

She took the newspaper and exited her work building.