Chapter Seven

Lan Wangji and Lan Jingyi just watched in silence, shocked, as Wei Wuxian grabbed Lan Sizhui and bolted through the somewhat thick layer of snow.

The young junior stumbled over his own feet but managed to hold himself upright without a word, and Lan Wangji wanted to stop it.

Lan Jingyi ended up snickering, but quit once Lan Wangji glanced down at him. The juniors of Gusu weren't much shorter than the Second Jade, but they still felt intimidated by the height difference, amongst other things.

Even through the mess that had been made during the past days, Wei Wuxian seemed to be in an awfully good mood. 

Lan Wangji did not know how to feel about that.

Lan Wangji could see through the red eyes the sadness that remained. He figured that maybe he was sad-ish because Lan Wangji hadn't gone to cling onto him as soon as they met. 

Did Wei Wuxian expect Lan Wangji to step into a hug and not let go? Maybe he did, as they knew that the other must've changed at least a little bit through the years they had been separated. Maybe the Prince thought that Lan Wangji had opened up, even if it were just a little bit.

It was exactly what he wanted to do, but he forced himself not to.

Lan Jingyi did not wait for Lan Wangji to say or do anything and ran off after standing reluctantly for a short moment.

He was the last cultivator there to make a move, and with the way his feet were aching, he really did not want to. 

But with the weather so frigid, he had no choice but to make his way back to Wei Wuxian's home.

Jiang Wanyin would most likely be very upset over how he ran off without a word to anyone, along with his martial sister and adoptive parents if they find out.

"We still have a lot of talking to do, Lan Zhan."

The Prince's words sent a chill down his spine. He wasn't looking forward to it, but it had to be done.

Lan Wangji took a deep breath and watched it leave his mouth when he exhaled, taking a slow step.

He didn't bother to go back and search for the cloak. Even though he was shivering, he was sure that he would get back alright. Just looking for the large cloth would take up more time.

"Ridiculous," he hissed.

The whole thing was absolutely ludicrous.

He closed his golden eyes and walked faster to get the trip over with, fingers clenched tightly around the cold sheathe of Bichen.

The Second Jade of Lan realized that his feet had been hurting more than his back that very night.

Perhaps it was the bitter and dry air and the lack of his weight onto a mattress instead that helped the pain recede. 

It felt much better to move around, he noticed. If his feet and legs weren't aching, he felt like he could run miles. But he had to walk, whether he liked it or not.

So Lan Wangji made his way back to the only place he could think of, which is quite a distance from where he currently was. Or he could just fly his sword.

He didn't want to take the chance of falling, though. No matter how strong he was, he kept his feet firmly on the ground.

His back didn't even hurt when Wei Wuxian's arms were wrapped around him, and he hadn't realized it until that very moment.

How did Lan Wangji no longer feel any pain?

He looked down at the boots dragging across the white snow.