03 ― save the last dance for me.

❝ it's gemma, idiot! ❞

it's gemma, idiot! ❞

GEMMA ARRIVED AT THE SCHOOL DANCE.

The second she entered the school doors, she wanted to leave. Sam ran up to her friends immediately, leaving Gemma to stand by the entrance to the gym by herself.

Gemma grabbed the pink cowgirl hat that hung on her back, held up by a string in her neck. With a sigh, she placed it on her head and walked through the gym searching for someone that she knew. She spotted Demetri and Eli standing in the corner and waved at them. Demetri nodded in her direction as she started making her way towards them.

She stood in front of them, giving them a once-over as she looked at their costumes. A smile appeared on her face as she placed her cowgirl hat back on her head.

"Well, howdy there partners," Gemma spoke in her best country accent as she tipped her hat at them. "Aren't you two looking mighty fine this evening?"

"Hey, Gemma," Demetri greeted her.

Eli gave her a small wave.

"Let me guess your costumes..." Gemma thought for a moment, examining both of their costumes closely.

She pointed at Demetri. "You're a necromancer." She moved her finger to the side, pointing at Eli. "And you're a...lip surgeon?"

Demetri's gave her a shocked look, turning to look at Eli before glancing back at Gemma. "Impressive."

Eli nodded his head. "How'd you know?"

Gemma shrugged. "Lucky guess. Judging by the amulet you're wearing and the face makeup," she motioned to Demetri's neck and face, then turned to Eli, "and I just figured since you have a cleft lip that you'd want to help fix other people's. I'm sorry if that's a bold assumption."

Eli shook his head. "It's not. Don't worry."

Gemma didn't have to see Eli's mouth to know that he was smiling. She could tell by the way his cheekbones raised and the narrowing of his eyes.

"And judging by the hat and the fact that your greeted us by speaking in a country accent and said howdy, I'm going to take a lucky guess a day that you're a cowgirl," Demetri said.

Gemma nodded her head and looked at the ground as she laughed softly. She looked up when she saw a pair of shoes planted on the ground next to her own. Miguel stood next to her; his face painted to resemble a skeleton.

"Oh, skeleton," Demetri was the first to speak. "Classic."

"Thanks," Miguel responded. "I like your sorcerer costume."

"Sorcerer?" Demetri questioned with a scoff. "Please. I'm a necromancer."

"What?" Miguel asked, confused.