Chapter Two

6 years later

I slid out of the bathtub, wrapping my robe around me, and slowly drying myself off. I hopped from one dry spot on the ground to another, humming along to this catchy tune I'd heard at the reception of one of my runways.

It was simply like one of those songs that follow you around and pop up in your head when you are in the dire need for some peace and quiet.

I stood in front of my mirror and sighed, exhaling a breath I didn't know I'd been holding.

I trailed my hand up, brushing past my collarbone to my face. I held my face gingerly as someone might to a child. And then just for a second I pleaded with the world. I pleaded that when I opened my eyes I'd stare into my mother's eyes, instead of my own bluebell ones.

I lowered my face and turned around abruptly, embarrassed that I'd really been trying something like that.

"Why'd you have to do this to me?" I broke out to no one in particular. I could already feel the tears stinging my eyes threatening to slice through as a confirmation of my loss. A confirmation that'd been recurring since the past 6 years.

"Mari, no" I breathed to the deafening silence.
"Five things...Mari do it...five things you see."

I peered through my glistening eyes.
"Mirror" I muttered.
"Hand wash" I dragged my eyes around the corners of the room.
"Curtain" I tore my eyes away, looking up and around.
"Bracelet" My eyes strayed towards the silver and gold ornament which served as a reminder of the gaping hole in my chest.
"Towel"

My eyes felt like they were going to roll back in my head.

I felt confused. I never have panic attacks...At least not anymore.

                             ***
"What do you mean she can't go to school?"
"Natalie, I'm not-I'm not having this conversation with you." Tom Dupain sighed, pressing his aching temples.
"You have no idea what she's going through. None."
"I don't have any idea what she's going through? That w-"
"You what I mean. She's a kid! What good do you think locking her up in her own house is going to do? She needs to socialize. If you-"
"Natalie-Nat, look at this how I'm seeing it. I've lost the one and only woman I ever loved...I...I can't lose her too."
"Well then." Natalie's voice snagged.
"Well then, take this"
"What-what exactly-"
"Top bodyguards in Paris. Take your pick. With her 24/7. In school. Outside school. In the bedroom would be pushing it." Natalie muttered mustering her best pokerface.
"Hm...I don't have a choice, do I?"
"No. No, you don't."