𝟬𝟮𝟲, 𝗷𝘂𝘀𝘁 𝗯𝗲 𝗵𝗼𝗻𝗲𝘀𝘁 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝗺𝗲 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗼𝗻𝗰𝗲

Start from the beginning

as he multitasks, his mind keeps wandering back to zara. he can't shake the feeling of unease that's settled in his chest ever since he and grayson posted those instagram captions. he wonders how she's reacting to them, if she's upset with him.

matt knows he probably should have been the bigger person, but the nature of grayson's words were just too personal. he had to give an response. after all, if grayson was going to talk shit, matt may as well give grayson the attention he seems to want.

as he stirs the sauce, matt acknowledges that his actions may not have been the most mature, but in the heat of the moment, it felt necessary. he had already lost the girl, so there seemed to be little else to lose. now though, he knows grayson has got to be pissed, but he's more concerned about zara's opinion.

she can't be happy about it. he knows zara well enough to know that she values peace. the public... argument? matt doesn't even know what to call this. he and grayson haven't even exchanged actual words between each other. still, taking the debacle to instagram likely only added unnecessary stress to her already complicated situation.

matt feels bad that he's still upsetting her even after she told him they were done. matt sighs heavily. he can't stay done. when it comes to zara, he loses all common sense it seems. matt just can't let her go.

setting the spoon down, matt leans against the counter, his thoughts consumed by memories of zara explicitly saying she hates things like this. he remembers the way the two of them made fun of people who would fight over instagram. he's already sighing.

his thoughts of course change and he wonders if she's thinking about him too. even if she's thinking about what an idiot he is, he would still rather her have him on her mind than nothing at all. he wonders if she's missing him as much as he's missing her. but he knows that's just wishful thinking.

with a sigh, he closes his ipad, realizing that he's lost his appetite for studying. instead, he focuses on finishing dinner, hoping that the act of cooking will distract him from everything in his mind. but deep down, he knows that until he hears from zara, his mind will continue to be consumed by thoughts of her.

suddenly, matt hears the unexpected ring of the doorbell echoing through the house. frowning in confusion, he glances around the kitchen, his mind trying to figure out who it could be. his brothers have keys, and he wasn't expecting any visitors.

for a moment, his brain almost gaslights him into thinking it's zara. he shuts the thought down immediately. he knows there is no way in hell it's zara.

quickly wiping his hands on a kitchen towel, matt moves to turn down the stove before striding towards the front door. as he reaches the door and swings it open, he's met with a sight that catches him completely off guard.

from the look on this person's face, matt already knows he's done for.

not zara, but it's another rossi. standing before him, framed in the soft glow of the porch light, is xavier. usually, xavier is unserious, always laughing, always smiling. not this time. the expression on xavier's face isn't one of warmth or happiness. instead, his brows are furrowed, and his features are twisted into a scowl, making it clear that he isn't happy.

"xavi," matt says, his voice slightly strained. "what's up?"

xavier's gaze pierces through matt as he looks him up and down with a look of disappointment. there's no polite greeting, no attempt to soften the blow of whatever accusation he's about to unleash.

"have you been fucking my sister?" xavier's words hit natt like a ton of bricks, his eyes widening in shock at the bluntness of the question. matt instinctively reaches out to pull xavier into the house, wanting to shield the conversation from ears outside.