Chapter Twenty Five

"MY ANSWER IS NO," SOPHIE SAID FIRMLY.

Elysian's eyebrows furrowed. Her mouth set into a straight line. 

"May I ask why you have come to that decision?" She inquired. 

So Sophie explained it. 

The message on the last page of the book.

That was written in the Black Swan's code.

And it had set off a new memory in Sophie's mind. 

"They did a top secret study on human behavior," Sophie explained. "There's a huge flaw. Somehow when the councilors cut ties with the humans they changed their coding as a fail-safe so we could never reconnect with them. If we do, they won't be able to stand that they aren't the most powerful and... it wouldn't end well." 

She let it all out in one breath, spilling out all the angry emotions she had kept bottled up for the past day. She was used to the secrets. The Black Swan had never told her everything, and had lied to her so many times. But this one hurt a little more. She was a part of both worlds, and she had always wondered if she was meant to reconnect them. But if it wasn't possible... did that mean everything was for nothing? She was supposed to bring the two worlds together, but it was an impossible mission, only ending in failure.

She looked at Elysian. She expected her to look angry or upset, but her expression was all smiles.

"Sophie," she began. "My proposition is still a good one. The humans are destroying the earth, and we have many ways to help them obliterate the pollution. You just have to agree, and trust that I will figure this small detail out."

"I agree," Sophie said. Suddenly Elysian's words made sense. What had she been thinking. It didn't even matter that much if the humans went crazy, as long as their plan worked. 

"Excellent," Elysian said with a smile. "Let's begin making plans."

Wait.

Something wasn't right.

Sophie could feel it in her mind. Everything started to fog up, except Elysian's amazing plan to reconnect with the humans. Like she was messing with her brain.

Sophie closed her eyes and imagined a giant hand clearing the fog away. It was like she could see again. 

"Wait, that's not what I meant," she exclaimed. "Don't mess with my mind."

"Oh dear me, my apologies!" Elysian said. "Forgive me. When I get passionate about a subject, I sometimes use one of my abilities, I am very sorry."

"Are you a mesmer?" Sophie guessed.

"A powerful buguiler," Elysian corrected. "And I have not yet learned how to fully manage my ability. My most sincere apologies again. I promise this is your decision, Sophie. I won't try to manipulate it." 

"It is," Sophie agreed. "And I don't think it's worth the risk. Not if it could hurt billions of humans."

"Very well," Elysian sighed. "You may always call on me if your mind is changed. I will leave now, before I accidentally force you to comply."

She disappeared.

When Sophie got back home, she found Edaline waiting for her with a huge grin.

"Your dress is here!" She exclaimed. "I hailed Biana, and she should be here any minute."

Sure enough, Biana walked in moments later, jumping with excitement.

"Try it on!" She practically shouted.