Chapter 2

-8 years old-

"Dodge ball again?" Tania asked as soon as she heard Daryl sit next to her with a sigh.

"Nah, it's basketball this time" he said, rubbing his face with one of his hand.

"It's their lose" she smiled, placing a hand on his knee. Daryl slightly flinch at the touch, thankful that she couldn't see he did.

It had been a few months since they first meet. They had talked a lot and got to know each other. They had become close friends, probably one of their only friends. They both new how it felt to be neglected by the others. Being called 'freak' or 'hillbilly' by kids that thought they were better than them.

Daryl watched as Jason and David made shots in the basketball hoop. Both of them getting cheers from the girls. Daryl wanted to be one of them, to be popular.

"I know your thinking about it again" Tania sighed sadly, fiddling with her hands "they're not going to like you even more if you hang out with me"

Daryl was taken back by her words. What did she mean by that? It seemed like she didn't know the history of his last name. That was good, it should stay like that.

"Nahh," Daryl shook his head "I'd rather hang out with you. Your much cooler"

Tania felt her face warm up at his words. She's never received a compliment before. Well, from anyone else beside her aunt.

"Are you sure?" She asked nervously, she didn't want to be lied to. She knew he'd realize he could do much better without her soon.

"Positive" Daryl smiled at her, even thought she couldn't see. Her couldn't leave her, she understood him.

----

"Awww, look what we have here boys" Jason laughed loudly a he approached Daryl's and Tania's lunch table.

"They make a cute couple!" David exclaimed, aww'ing in a taunting way.

"What's going on?" Tania whispered to Daryl, worry clear in her voice. Daryl only stayed quiet, glaring at boys in front of them coldly.

"The blind one and the freak!" Jason laughed loudly, catching the attention of a few students "what a cute couple"

Tania felt panic rise inside of her. She had never been in a situation like this before. She was never picked on, just ignored. She could feel herself start shaking a bit, Daryl noticed it. He felt anger shoot through him, she could have an anxiety attack because of them.

Jason and David noticed Daryl's change. His eyes had gone from a light blue to a dark blue. His nostrils flared in anger, his jaw clenching at the same time. Jason and David shared a look before gulping. They all knew to never mess with the younger Dixon, but they never listened. They all knew who was his brother, and he wasn't the brightest ray of sunshine.

"Come on," Jason nodded his head at his group of followers "lets get some lunch"

When they were gone, Daryl turned to Tania with a worried expression.

"Hey, you okay?" he noticed how she was taking deep breaths, trying to calm down.

"Y-Yeah" she slightly nodded at him "this never happened before"

"I know" Daryl sighed, he had a strong feeling that this wouldn't be the last time. And it wouldn't be the last time, it was just the start.