8- Charlie

I sit on the love seat and watch Ezra draw a cat on Cat's hand. This one is a cat with a bat, wings, and vampire teeth. They're laughing at a joke he's made about the movie and for such a fucked-up thing to happen a few minutes ago, he's got her looking like normal. Not that I'm surprised, he's always been good with her. And I'm glad that she has him in her life. He's what Paulie was too scared to be; the older brother she needs.

Ezra catches my gaze and I smile instead of looking away. He finishes the last touches and drops Cat's hand, "Finished."

"Thanks. Now I'm going to go shower it off because the teachers will dress code me if they see it." Dress code is something that will always piss me off. Do I think kids should be wearing underwear to school? No, of course I don't. Do I think it's ridiculous that girls who show their shoulders should be asked to cover up? Absolutely. Because, what? It distracts boys. A little midriff and thighs turn the boys on so much too much that they can't concentrate in class. Of course, the girls are the ones who suffer from it. There's another problem that needs to be addressed there.

Ezra sits down next to me on the small couch, shoulders and thighs pressed together and arm draped on top of the back cushion. We melt together as one, "You good?" he asks.

"I have to be." I throw my legs on his lap and his hand squeezes my thigh.

"I can stay the night in case he tries to come back. There's a meeting that I would love to avoid anyways, staying here will give me an excuse."

"Won't your dad be mad at you for missing a meeting?"

"I don't want to spend the last day of the year with people I don't care about."

"And you care about me?"

"Always."

Cat is in the shower and we're alone in the living room. When my eyes flicker to his lips involuntarily, he sits up in the seat slowly, inching closer to me. I wrap my arms around his neck when he does so. His hands find my waist and we move with each other. All of a sudden, I'm not thinking about any of the stressors in my life. All I can think about is Ezra and how much I want to kiss him.

We move towards each other like magnets- not able to stay apart. Our noses brush and the familiar feeling sends a rush through my body. When our lips touch, it's hesitant. Not yet kissing, eyes slightly open. I know he won't make the first move and I can't wait, so I pull him towards me by the back of the neck and initiate a kiss.

It's not the first time it's happened. But when my head is in the clouds and I'm not thinking straight, I always give in. It's like he has me under some sort of spell.

We pull back slowly, foreheads resting against each other. I regret it immediately, like I always do. "I'm sorry. That wasn't fair." One of these days, maybe I'll kiss him without feeling guilty, but today is not that day.

"Why wasn't it fair?" I pull back, keeping my hands on his shoulder.

"Kissing you would just be to distract me from thinking about what just happened. We've talked about this before, Ez. I'm sorry." I try to take my legs off his lap, embarrassed by my actions, but he forces me to look at him.

"I'll be your distraction," he says sweetly. He cups my cheek in his hand, thumb rubbing back and forth my jaw.

"Not tonight." I don't need another thing to worry about, especially with the Sign so soon.

"Will you braid my hair?" Ezra's hand drops when Cat walks in. "I didn't feel like getting it wet and if I don't braid it, then it's going to be oily all day tomorrow." She sits in front of me without my agreement. But I'm glad for her interruption. I swing my legs off Ezra's lap and take the awaiting brush from Cat's hand. She watches the movie that I completely forgot we had on.