Burn

' "...kase...? Fukase..."

Fukase felt himself being lightly shaken; he twitched with a groan, burying his face deeper into his arms.

"Fukase...c-class is over..." A soft voice rang in his ears; the shaking then turned to light rubbing on his shoulders.

"...A-Aren't you hungry...?"

The redhead let out a small groan.

"Wanna sleep..."

"S-Sorry...b-but...you may get caught later...so...m-maybe get up now...?"

Another groan escaped as Fukase sat up, dazedly looking towards the voice; his best friend, Utatane Piko, stepped out from behind him and released his shoulders.

"S-Sorry, Fukase..."

Fukase stared at him for a moment before leaning forward, laying his head on Piko's abdomen and wrapping his arms around his small frame; the short boy let out a small squeak at the unexpected action.

"Pikooo...lesgo..."

"P-Pardon...?"

"Le's skip." The redhead grumbled into Piko's oversized uniform. "Go home an' sleep..."

After a moment, Piko carefully lifted his hand and began to run his fingers through Fukase's hair.

"I-I can't, Fukase...y-you know that..."

"I'll beat up your paren's."

"But then I would be alone when you go to...p-prison..."

Another groan was his reply.

"D-Did you have trouble sleeping again? D-Did you not take your medication...?"

"Ran out."

"O-Oh..."

Fukase reluctantly released him, sitting back and rubbing his eyes; Piko shuffled his feet and looked away, hoping he wouldn't notice the light blush on his cheeks.

"You said i's lunch?" Fukase yawned, to which Piko let out a small "Mhm..."

"Hrrngh...fine...we stayin' in here, or..."

Piko nodded. "F-Flower has a committee meeting, s-so...just us..."

"Mkay...tha's fine."

The older boy reached into his bag as Piko sat back down at his own desk, next to him.

"...How long was I out?"

"T-Two periods..."

"Shit, I missed the test review..." Fukase groaned as he pulled out two bentos. "I needed that fuckin' thing."

However, as he turned back to Piko, he was met with a sheepish smile and a stack of notecards being held out to him.

"I-I didn't want to wake you..." His mismatched eyes moved to the floor. "S-So I t-took some extra notes for you..."

Fukase's heart swelled–both from the kind gesture, and relief that there was hope for his History grade after all.

"Piko, you're my guardian angle."

"G-Guardian...angel?"

"Er–yeah, I'm tired, sorry. My amazin' guardian angel."

He set the extra bento on the silverette's desk and took the notecards from him.

"I-I c-could...say the same for...y-you..." Piko stammered out, beet red.

"Eh...? You're sweet, buddy." Fukase popped open his own bento and proceeded to scoop out some rice with his hand, shoving it in his mouth.