T H I R T Y T H R E E

Start from the beginning

Noah and I make in back down to the bridge over the falls.  We take a picture together in front of the falls and he takes a picture of me alone.  The spray of the falls coat my hair and my face, I feel Finn here and it brings happy tears to my eyes.

When I turn around, Noah is down on one knee.

"What are you doing?" I ask, shaking my head and pressing my hand over my mouth.

"Laney, I've loved you as long as I've known you.  You are kind and funny, and more than a little stubborn.  I know what life is like without you, and I never want to experience that again.  I want to be the person you lean on, and I promise to never take you for granted.  Marry me," Noah's eyes shine with unshed tears, the ring box is shaking in his hand from nerves.

"Laney?" Noah prompts, when I don't say anything.  Even though is marry me wasn't a question as much as it was a statement.  I want to say yes, but I can't quite do it.  Noah's face falls as he stands up and puts the ring back in his pocket.  He places his hands on my shoulder and searches my eyes.  "What's going on?"

"This-" I start but my voice breaks, "this isn't because Finn died, right?"

Noah laughs a relieved laugh, and pulls me into his arms, "I bought the ring right after Christmas, Delaney."

"Are you crazy?"

"A little bit," he grins, "crazy about you."

"No, don't do that," I groan, shoving him away playfully.  "Give me that ring."

"Is that a yes?"

"Was it a question?"

"No, it was a demand, really," he kisses me and pulls the ring box out.  Showing me the art deco style ring, oval shaped with smaller stones surrounding it.  The band is gold and delicate.  I shake my hand at him, and he chuckles at me as he slides it on my finger.  

"This isn't-"

"No, it's not a diamond, its Moissanite," I grin at him, admiring the ring.  His kisses my head.

"Can we get doughnuts now?"

"Anything you want," he replies, weaving his fingers through mine as we make our way down to the parking lot.

Noah drives us while I gaze at my hand, holding it out and watching the sunlight refract off the stones.  Tears threaten at the back of my throat, both happy and sad, but I keep them down.  I catch him watching more than once.

"I love you, you know," I say, because I know that proposal didn't go the way he wanted it to.

Noah reaches over and grabs my hand, "I know."

Noah and I get doughnuts at Voodoo and walk around the city.  I haven't had anything to drink since Noah dumped 300 dollars worth of my favorite whiskey down the drain, so I don't have anything to drink at dinner.  We were going home tomorrow, I would call my mom and tell her the news then.  I wanted this to be between us just for now.

"I'm ready to be home," I tell Noah when we get back to the hotel.  "I can't wait to sleep in our bed."

"Why don't you let me help you sleep better?"

"Are you suggesting what I think you are?" I ask, my lips quirked in a sly grin.

"Yes," he whispers before crushing his lips against mine.  Noah and I hadn't been intimate since Finn's death.  Half was because apart from fucking in the venue bathrooms were the only privacy we got, and half because of my grief.  I had spent the last two months either overly emotional or catatonic.  I needed his hands on me like I needed air in my lungs.  Noah growls under me when I slide my mouth against his, tasting the Hennessy on his tongue.