"WHAT THE HELL!!!"

Chapter 2: “WHAT THE HELL!!!”

The air in the small dormitory room was thick with tension, but Railings refused to let Hawthorne's words get under his skin. Instead, he threw himself onto his bunk, staring up at the dark ceiling, the steady rhythm of Hawthorne's breathing in the bottom bunk the only sound in the room.

But sleep didn't come easily. His mind was racing, replaying their conversation over and over again, trying to decipher Hawthorne's true intentions. Was he really just trying to provoke Railings, or was there something more behind his words?

He huffed, turning over to face the wall. Hawthorne always found something on Railings and the taller male always fussed over Hawthorne's words at the end of each day even though he was in denialists. Railings sighed, turning over the other side.

“You're disturbing my sleep Railings, stop turning over a hundred of times.”  Hawthorne scoffed, finding amusement in teasing Railings once more.

“I don't have time for you.” Railings could only say through the dark.

It was by surprise for Hawthorne not to reply to that. Both boys fell asleep in a lion's den, their hearts pumping with hatred. Hawthorne was the first to wake up as he got ready for breakfast. A sly grin stretched across his face at the sight of Railings' shampoo.

He didn't wait a single thought as he grabbed a dye mixing it with the shampoo, that sly grin replaced by an evil smile. Once the deed was done, Hawthorne casually slipped out of the room, whistling a tune to himself as he made his way to the dining hall.

It was all about fun to him.

Kent Hawthorne had two best friends, Jones and Sam. The trio was surprisingly different from each other, far different. While Jones was a good nerd student who cared about getting good grades at school, Sam was a troublemaker who found pleasure in giving his teachers a headache. Kent Hawthorne was different, he was a playboy and only a troublemaker when it involved Railings.

“How is it going with Railings? I heard you two are best roommates.” Sam teased, making Hawthorne snort.

“Best roommates.” Hawthorne scoffed at that. “I'm always tempted to read how to get away with murder everytime I see Railings.” He hated him that much.

Sam let out a loud, obnoxious guffaw, slapping Hawthorne on the back with a playful smirk. "Railings? The walking stick-in-the-mud? You'd think he'd have more fun with that pole up his ass!"

Jones, on the other hand, wrinkled his nose in disapproval. "Kent, you two are going to get yourselves expelled at this rate. What's the point of all this bickering?"

Hawthorne let out a deep, exaggerated sigh. "Oh, Jonesy, you don't understand. It's not about fun," Hawthorne continued, leaning in conspiratorially. "It's about the game. You know how Railings gets all huffy and puffy? It's like he can't take a joke! And the best part is, I know how to push his buttons, and he falls for it every time. It's like a cat and mouse game, and I'm the cat."

Jones frowned. "A cat and mouse game where the cat and the mouse both get thrown out of the school?" He shook his head in disapproval. "You should stop, before it goes too far."

But Hawthorne just grinned. "Oh, come on, Jonesy. Lighten up. Where's your sense of adventure? Besides," he added, leaning back and putting his feet up on a nearby table, "If I stopped, where would the fun be?”

“KENT HAWTHORNE!!”

“Oh hell just broke loose.” Sam muttered under his breath.

A purple haired Eiluned Railings stomped inside, fuming. His fist clenched, ready to punch someone. That didn't faze Hawthorne though, the shorter leaned against the chair with an amused smirk.