Chapter 3 - Sickness

Ryan breathed a sigh of relief as he finally arrived at the skatepark, a welcome escape from the suffocating atmosphere of the classroom. With his skateboard in hand, he eagerly made his way to his favorite spot, a worn bench nestled beneath the shade of a towering oak tree.

But as he approached, he noticed Professor Melon standing nearby, a dark silhouette against the backdrop of the setting sun. The sight sent a shiver down Ryan's spine, the memory of their earlier confrontation still fresh in his mind.

For a moment, Ryan hesitated, unsure of what to do. He didn't want Professor Melon hovering over him, scrutinizing his every move, but he also didn't want to risk further angering the unpredictable gazelle.

Summoning his courage, Ryan squared his shoulders and walked over to where Professor Melon stood, his heart pounding in his chest. "Listen," he began, his voice shaky but determined. "You can just stand there and watch me skate, and please don't get in my way, Professor."

Professor Melon looked down at Ryan, a twisted smile spreading across his lips beneath the mask. There was something unsettling about the way his eyes glinted with amusement, a sadistic gleam that sent a chill down Ryan's spine.

"Of course, Ryan," Professor Melon replied, his voice dripping with false sweetness. "I wouldn't dream of getting in your way."

With a slow, deliberate wave of his hand, Professor Melon dismissed Ryan, his smile widening into a grin that bordered on malevolent. "Have fun," he said, his words laced with an unsettling edge.

Ryan turned away, his stomach churning with unease, as he muttered under his breath that Professor Melon was a weirdo. But as he stepped onto his skateboard and began to glide across the concrete, the feeling of freedom washed over him, momentarily pushing aside his worries and fears.

For a brief moment, all was right with the world as Ryan lost himself in the exhilarating rush of speed and adrenaline. 

Ryan weaved effortlessly through the maze of ramps and rails, lost in the thrill of the ride. With each turn and twist, he felt a sense of freedom wash over him, the worries and frustrations of the day melting away beneath the rhythmic hum of his wheels against the ground.

But as he sped around a corner, his focus waning, he failed to notice the figure standing directly in his path. With a sharp turn, Ryan tried to veer out of the way, but it was too late. He collided with the figure with a sickening thud, sending both of them crashing to the ground in a tangled heap.

As Ryan picked himself up, wincing in pain, he realized with a sinking feeling that he had crashed into a male Grey Wolf, who now glared at him with fury blazing in his eyes.

"Watch where you're going, freak!" the Grey Wolf snarled, his voice dripping with venom.

Ryan's heart sank as he tried to apologize, but before he could utter a word, Professor Melon appeared beside him, his presence looming like a dark shadow.

"I'm terribly sorry about my student," Professor Melon said, his voice smooth and composed. "He doesn't know how to ride his skateboard well."

Ryan watched in disbelief as Professor Melon spoke, his emotions hidden beneath the mask he always wore. Despite being a herbivore, Ryan couldn't shake the sense of fear that washed over him in the presence of the imposing gazelle.

The Grey Wolf shoved Professor Melon roughly, but the professor barely reacted, his expression remaining eerily calm. "Shove off, you filthy piece of sickness," the Grey Wolf spat, baring his fangs in a display of dominance before stalking away.

As Aiko-san ran up to Ryan, concern etched on his face, Ryan waved him off, trying to downplay the severity of his injury. "Professor Melon tripped you on purpose, I watched him!" Aiko-san whispered urgently, his eyes wide with alarm.

Ryan's blood ran cold at the accusation, but he shook his head, unwilling to believe that Professor Melon would intentionally harm him. "He probably didn't mean to," Ryan muttered, his voice tinged with uncertainty. "But I'm fine, really."

But as Professor Melon chuckled sardonically, twisting his head sideways in a mocking gesture, Ryan couldn't shake the feeling that something was terribly wrong. "Oh dear, Ryan, your leg, it's wounded. How sad," Professor Melon said, his words dripping with false sympathy.

Despite the professor's concerns sounding fake, Ryan couldn't bring himself to care. The pain in his ankle throbbed with every step he took.

Ryan limped along the dimly lit streets, each step sending a jolt of pain shooting up his injured ankle. He gritted his teeth against the discomfort, determined to make it home despite the obstacles in his path.

But just as he rounded a corner, he felt a pair of furry hands close around his neck, sending a shiver down his spine. "Please, let me assist the wounded~" a voice whispered in his ear, and Ryan's blood ran cold as he recognized the familiar tone of Professor Melon.

Scoffing, Ryan tried to pull away, but Professor Melon held on firmly, his grip surprisingly strong. "Let go of me," Ryan growled, his voice laced with anger and fear.

Ryan scoffed and tried to pull away, but Melon's grip remained firm, his touch unsettlingly intimate. "I don't need your help," Ryan muttered through gritted teeth, his eyes narrowed in suspicion.

Ignoring Ryan's protests, Melon ever so casually held onto him, his touch sending shivers down Ryan's spine. "Now, now, there's no need to be stubborn," Melon said, his tone smooth and soothing. "Just tell me where your apartment is, and I'll make sure you get home safely."

"I ain't gonna tell you my address!" Ryan snapped, his voice sharp with defiance.

Professor Melon chuckled, the sound sending shivers down Ryan's spine. And then, without warning, he let go of Ryan, sending him tumbling to the ground with a painful thud.

"Well, enjoy yourself, Ryan," Professor Melon said, his voice dripping with malice. "I heard that there's some bloodthirsty carnivores outside tonight, and oh boy, will they have a human treat."

Ryan watched in horror as Professor Melon strutted away, leaving him alone in the darkness. Panic surged through him, his mind racing with thoughts of impending danger.

"Okay! Please help me! I'll tell you where my apartment is!" Ryan called out desperately, his pride crumbling in the face of impending peril.

To his relief, Professor Melon turned around, a sly grin spreading across his face as he picked Ryan back up, his grip surprisingly gentle as he began to drag Ryan along the deserted streets.

As Professor Melon dragged him along the deserted streets, Ryan couldn't shake the feeling of unease that gnawed at him from within. And then, as they neared his apartment, he noticed something strange about Professor Melon's appearance.

Were those leopard spots on his neck?

But that couldn't be possible. Professor Melon was a pure-blooded gazelle, wasn't he?

 Professor Melon was a pure-blooded gazelle, wasn't he?