IELTS雅思閱讀題目分享:食物浪費難題

雅思閱讀考題的主題五花八門,多取材自報章雜誌、書籍等。考生不僅英文程度要好,還要有能力消化各種內容的閱讀理解能力。日常多閱讀英文文章,你將能夠積累更多單字,提升閱讀速度,打開視野,進而在考試中受益匪淺。

Atlas將不定期分享涉及不同主題的英文文章,閱讀完畢後,你可以挑戰文末的判斷題,測試自己的理解程度。看看你是否能正確回答所有問題,這樣一來,你就能確保對文章內容的理解達到100%。

[雅思閱讀] The Problem of Food Waste

Food waste is a pervasive challenge, with approximately one-third of the world's produced food being discarded annually. In the context of sustainable dining, understanding the scale of this issue is paramount. Not only does it squander valuable resources, but it also contributes significantly to greenhouse gas emissions, exacerbating climate change.

食物浪費是一個普遍的挑戰,每年世界上生產的食物約有三分之一被丟棄。 在永續餐飲的背景下,了解這個問題的嚴重程度至關重要。 它不僅浪費了寶貴的資源,而且還大大增加了溫室氣體排放,加劇了氣候變遷。

As revealed by a comprehensive UN report in 2021, people discard nearly a billion tonnes of food annually. In homes worldwide, an average of 74kg of food per person is wasted each year. In countries with robust data, like the UK, households discard approximately eight meals per week. Restaurants and shops contribute to the problem, dumping 17% of all food. Food waste and loss generate 10% of emissions contributing to the climate crisis.

聯合國 2021 年綜合報告顯示,人們每年丟棄近十億噸食物。 在世界各地的家庭中,每年平均每人浪費 74 公斤食物。 在英國等擁有可靠數據的國家,家庭每週丟棄約八餐。 餐廳和商店造成了這一問題,傾倒了 17% 的食物。 食物浪費和損失佔導致氣候危機的排放量的 10%。

To put it in perspective, if food waste were a nation, its emissions would trail only those of the US and China.

客觀地說,如果食物浪費是一個國家,其排放量將僅次於美國和中國。

When food decomposes in landfills, it releases methane, a potent greenhouse gas that is many times more harmful than carbon dioxide. Additionally, the extensive resources used in food production, such as water, energy, and arable land, are wasted when the food ends up unconsumed.

當食物在垃圾掩埋場分解時,會釋放出甲烷,這是一種強效溫室氣體,其危害性比二氧化碳高出許多倍。 此外,當糧食最終未被消耗時,糧食生產中使用的大量資源,例如水、能源和耕地,就會被浪費。

The stark reality of food waste continues to cast a shadow over global sustainability. Reducing food waste requires a comprehensive approach that involves individuals, businesses, and governments.

食物浪費的嚴峻現實繼續為全球永續發展蒙上陰影。 減少食物浪費需要個人、企業和政府參與的全面方法。

Individuals can make informed choices through mindful consumption, intelligent shopping practices, and efficient food storage. Each person has the power to minimize waste and adopt a healthier, more environmentally friendly lifestyle.

個人可以透過謹慎消費、明智的購物習慣和高效的食品存放來做出明智的選擇。 每個人都有能力減少浪費並採取更健康、更環保的生活方式。

Businesses in the food industry must adopt innovative practices to minimize waste along the supply chain. This includes improving inventory management, donating surplus food to charities, and implementing technologies to track and reduce waste.

食品業企業必須採取創新實踐,最大限度地減少供應鏈中的浪費。 這包括改善庫存管理、向慈善機構捐贈剩餘食物以及實施追蹤和減少浪費的技術。

Meanwhile, government legislation can encourage businesses to donate unsold but still consumable food while also imposing penalties for excessive waste. Moreover, supporting initiatives that promote sustainable farming practices can address the issue at its root.

同時,政府立法可以鼓勵企業捐贈未售出但仍可消費的食品,同時對過度浪費實施處罰。 此外,支持促進永續農業實踐的措施可以從根本上解決這個問題。

資料來源:網路整理

小試身手:多選題

看完文章了嗎?請選出文章中提及解決食物浪費的可能方法的三個選項:

A. Encourage businesses to advertise more to increase sales.

B. Advocate for government regulations to prohibit food businesses from discarding food.

C. Impose fines on businesses that waste food through government legislation.

D. People need to be more cautious before shopping.

E. Increase prices in the food industry to reduce shopping.

F. Businesses should improve technology for better supply chain management.

G. Donate unsold but still consumable food to charitable organizations in the food industry.

往下看答案↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

正確答案

答案:

D. People need to be more cautious before shopping.

F. Businesses should improve technology for better supply chain management.

G. Donate unsold but still consumable food to charitable organizations in the food industry.

答案解析:

根據文章內容,個人應該在購物前更謹慎,業者可以通過改進技術來提高供應鏈管理,並且可以捐贈未售出但仍可食用的食物給慈善機構。 因此,答案D、F和G是正確的。