two

Pity Invite

MARGOT BYERS COULDN'T deal with herself

MARGOT BYERS COULDN'T deal with herself. Her looks deteriorated into slop and she hardly got any sleep besides when she cried herself to the point. A week ago, you could've recognized her, but now she was a zombie, walking through the motions.

School was hard. People looked at her and Jonathan with pity, and people who never would've gave her a second thought offered to sit with her at lunch, invite her to parties.

Being at school was hell, but she had to do it. Life had to go on until the stress of finding Will goes away.

"Mars," Someone she wished forgot her shouted out. Her world was off of its axis in every way. She didn't need to be reminded of it. "Margot? Are you seriously making me chase you?"

Margot paused in her steps, looking back at him. Steve took her in. She looked horrible, yet Steve was still being seen with her, walking in the halls.

"Look, I know we're not on the best of terms, but I wanna make it up to you. Come over tonight, I'm having a couple friends over," Steve suggested and Margot huffed looking up at him as she walked. His eyes were already trained on her.

"The first thing you do is give me a pity invite? No 'I'm sorry' or anything else," Margot asked angrily.

"And you wouldn't have been more pissed? Mars, you act like I haven't known you. Come,"  Steve pleaded. "Nancy will be there."

"Maybe, Steve. I've got bigger things to worry about than a party and as far as I'm concerned, passing out drunk on your couch while I hear Carol and Tommy doing it isn't my thing," Margot replied and Steve shrugged.

"Tonight will be different. And if it isn't, Charlie is missing you," Steve said and Margot sighed, stopping in the hall.

"Only if you help hang posters with me," Margot ordered and Steve folded his arms.

"Fine as long is everything is alright in Margotville," He quipped making her roll her eyes. He elbowed her lightly. "Come, drink a couple beers, and you'll be fine."

"Until I wake up with a pounding headache," Margot added adjusting the stack of posters under her arm and a textbook. "How's Charlotte doing anyways?"

"Charlie's fine," Steve replied shortly. His eyes spotted Nancy talking with Barb. "I better see you later."

Steve took off leaving Margot to walk on her own. A annoying sensation crept into her system as she seen Steve talk to Nancy so casually. The familiarity of his tone was sickening. That's how he talked to her.

"Margot," Jonathan called from ahead of her. He caught her eye so she strolled up to him. She handed him the posters.

"What is it now?" Margot asked not too keen on being annoyed much further. She knew Jonathan hated Steve, but she didn't want to hear it. He didn't understand her attachment because that was her longest friend. She didn't want to hear how she could do better.