Destination....Hogwarts! Year One

Sarah could only describe the trip to Hogwarts as long, but ultimately helpful in improving her newly-developed friendship with Rowan, the raven haired, short fellow first year. She had learned heaps about her, including that she is an only child, and lives on a farm with both her parents in a slightly rural area off the outskirts of London, meaning the journey to Platform 9 ¾ for the Khanna family was rather simple. For Sarah's family, the apparition from their Birmingham Estate to the London Station had left Sarah feeling nauseous and overwhelmed.

However, she enjoyed Rowan's company. She enjoyed watching Rowan smile as she said some random fun facts. She enjoyed the mass of knowledge Rowan withheld, it felt as though she was a walking encyclopaedia. Sarah sadly sighed as she knew Rowan would be a phenomenal Ravenclaw. The sky-coloured house drew in only the most intellectually intelligent students, a category Sarah had never belonged to. Intellectual intelligence had never come naturally to Sarah, she was one of the students who had to intensely study in order to attain even a passing grade, and though it was stressful, she couldn't imagine to possess such natural intelligence that Rowan effortlessly inherited. It made her feel a slight twinge of jealousy, though she immediately wiped any remains of the thought from her mind as Rowan's squeaky voice interrupted saying:

"Where are you from Sarah? What is your family like?"

Sarah hesitated before saying, "I live on an estate, named Davison Manor, located in a wealthy area of Birmingham. My brother vanished a few years ago, his last moments spent in and around Hogwarts. I suppose that is another reason I long to finally be a student here. If it means I can crack some clues concerning WHY my brother left in the first place, I believe myself and my family could attain some peace of mind."

Rowan hummed. "I'm sorry to hear about your brother", she stated solemnly. "Is he dead?"

"Not sure." It was a sensitive topic for Sarah, so she responded rather abruptly and bluntly.

"Sorry, I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have asked that. Do you still want to be friends? It's okay if you don't but I..."

Rowan was stammering. She was nervous. Sarah knew any anger she formerly had towards the girl had dissipated within an instant. Rowan wasn't like the rich, snobby girls which inhabited the schools and neighbourhoods around Sarah's wealthy area. Instead, she was kind and considerate, a friend Sarah truly needed.

As children began to frantically exit the train, the girls giggled and assumed they had already arrived at Hogwarts. The journey sure felt better accompanied by a friend, the time had gone by effortlessly, and Sarah's previous feeling of nausea had quickly vanished, instead taken over by emotions of glee and excitement. This was their new school!

Teachers of all walks of life were waiting at Hogsmeade Station, and called out for all first years to accompany them. Following behind a short professor with glasses, Rowan and Sarah took in their magical surroundings before boarding one of the dozens of boats, which would ensure all the Hogwarts first years arrived harm free to their new school. The dwarf-like teacher, who the girls found out was Professor Flitwick, was extremely helpful in providing Rowan with information she so desperately searched for. Apparently the students each year travel in boats across the Black Lake to the edge of the Hogwarts Castle, then make their way past Hagrid's Hut and up towards the Great Hall, where the Sorting Ceremony would be hosted, accompanied by a splendid feast. Sarah knew she could make do with a meal, the lightheadedness began to come back throughout the unstable boat ride.

Professor Flitwick also explained following the Ceremony, all first Years will receive a tour of the entire school, be introduced to their Heads of Houses, and get a chance to speak to them personally. Afterwards, all first year students will be escorted to their dorms, allowing them time to unpack their suitcases and become familiar with their rooms. Rowan's eyes looked up desperately when he also added they would be able to meet their house Prefects, and the seventh year Head Boys and Girls.

"It's always been my dream to be a Head Girl!! And a prefect too. But a Head Girl more! And now, tonight, I get to meet them!! This is my dream come true!"

"Very well Miss Khanna, I'm sure you'll thoroughly enjoy tonight's events then!"

"Sarah, would you want to be a prefect or head girl?"

Sarah's attention was drawn away from a cute fellow first year on another boat, he had fancy black robes which were extremely similar to her own, and spiky brown hair. It seemed that from a distance his piercing green eyes were still rather noticeable. Sarah made a note to find him around the school within the next few days, before paying attention to Rowan and her question.

"I never really thought about it, Rowan. I'd like to, I suppose. I won't be devastated if I don't get it though."

At last, it was time to get off the shaky boats and walk into school. Tugging at Rowan's arm, Sarah tried to steer her and her best friend close to the cute guy with the beautiful green eyes, though within an instant, many other students filed through the crowd, losing her sight of him. Before the girls stood the beautiful Hogwarts Castle, shining in its eternal glory.

"The next seven years were going to be great years", Sarah thought to herself as she trudged up to the Training Grounds, swiftly bypassing them before heading in the direction of the Great Hall.