part 6:

Yuki was at the stove when Lydia returned next day.

What was that smell? Sniff. Sniff.
Heavenly.

Ochi popped in, sniffing in the air,
"Wow! Is the smell coming from your house?" Sniff. Sniff.

"Onēsan, what are you making?" Kasai couldn't contain himself.

"All three of you, keep your eyes closed and open your mouths,"
Yuki said, popping three pieces of something into their mouth, waited, and asked,
"How is it?"

"Hmm. Perfectly sweet..." Kasai mumbled as he savoured it.

"Melts in your mouth," Ochi answered, without opening her eyes.

"Tastes like heaven. Delicious!" Lydia finished.

"CHOCOLATE??" they asked in unison.
No, it can't be chocolate.

Yuki smiled. "It is called Apfelstrudel, it is found in Austria. The delicate dough is wrapped around a sweet, apple filling that’s enriched with buttery fried breadcrumbs, raisins and sometimes walnuts. The delicious result can be found in pastry shops around the world though Vienna provides the classic experience."

She stopped for breath as she completed her demonstration and asked, "Do you want to take this on your birthday, Lydia?"

Lydia pouted and shook her head as she looked at the plate of Apfelstrudel that Yuki had prepared.

"No, it looks like a vanilla creamy bun... boringly..big."

Unable to contain her tears anymore, she ran into her room and closed the door. Her birthday was just a few days away, and she just didn't know what to give to everyone.

She cried to herself to sleep. But, when she woke up, she had an idea.
Will it work?
Will Onēsan be able to pull it off?
Will her friends like it?

There was only one way to find out.