1: Shadows of Betrayal

Miyako Gojo stood on the edge of a high-rise rooftop, her white hair swirling in the stormy night wind. Rain began to fall in heavy drops, bouncing off her dark jacket and soaking the city below. Neon lights glistened off the wet streets, casting an eerie glow. The Tokyo skyline, vibrant and bustling, stretched out beneath her. It was a city that rarely slept, but tonight, even the busiest neighbourhoods felt quiet, as if something sinister lurked in the shadows.

She had been tracking a particularly dangerous cursed spirit for the better part of the evening, following its trail through alleyways, abandoned buildings, and now to this rooftop. The spirit was known for its violent tendencies, and it had already claimed several lives. As a jujutsu sorcerer and a member of the Gojo family, it was Miyako's responsibility to eliminate such threats. But as she approached the centre of the rooftop, she sensed another presence—a familiar one that made her heart tighten with a mix of anger and regret.

"Suguru," she said, keeping her voice steady despite the storm and the conflicting emotions swirling inside her.

Geto Suguru stepped from the shadows, his long dark hair tied back in a loose ponytail. He wore a black robe that flapped in the wind, his expression as calm and confident as ever. There was a hint of a smirk on his lips, but his eyes were cold, almost detached. It had been years since he had betrayed their school and their ideals, but seeing him still felt like a fresh wound reopening.

"Miyako," he replied, a hint of amusement in his voice. "It's been a while, hasn't it?"

She nodded, her eyes narrowing as she kept her distance. The memory of his betrayal—when he abandoned Tokyo Jujutsu High to pursue his twisted vision of a world without non-sorcerers—was still raw. He had once been her brother's best friend, a trusted ally, and someone she had respected. But now he stood on the opposite side, leading a group of rogue sorcerers who believed in eradicating all non-sorcerers from existence.

"What are you doing here?" she asked, crossing her arms. "I thought you were busy causing chaos elsewhere."

He shrugged, a gesture that seemed almost dismissive. "Just taking a stroll through the city. Enjoying the rain, you know? It's refreshing."

"Don't play games with me, Suguru," she snapped. "There's a cursed spirit in this area, and I intend to eliminate it. You know that, don't you?"

Geto's smirk grew, but it didn't reach his eyes. "I know a lot of things, Miyako. But who says the cursed spirit needs to be eliminated? Maybe it just needs to be understood."

Miyako felt her anger flare at his nonchalant attitude. "Understood? It's killed people, Suguru. Innocent people. You can't justify that."

He tilted his head, studying her with those cold eyes. "Innocent? Are they really? Or are they just part of a system that creates cursed spirits in the first place? Have you ever stopped to think that maybe we're the ones causing all this?"

His words struck a nerve, but Miyako refused to show it. She knew Geto's ideology well—his belief that non-sorcerers were the root of all evil and that the world would be better without them. It was a dangerous mindset, one that had already led to countless deaths. She couldn't let him continue down this path, but she also knew that fighting him outright would lead to more chaos and destruction.

"I don't have time for philosophical debates," she said, turning away. "I'm here to do my job. You should do yours and stay out of my way."

Geto's voice softened, but it carried an undercurrent of threat. "And if I don't?"

Miyako stopped, her back to him, her muscles tense. "Then I won't hesitate to stop you. You know that."

The storm intensified, lightning flashing across the sky, followed by a deafening clap of thunder. The city below seemed to hold its breath, waiting for what would happen next. Miyako knew that this wasn't just about a cursed spirit. It was about their shared history, the friendship that had turned to enmity, and the betrayal that had changed everything.

She took a deep breath and turned to face him, her eyes cold and determined. "Suguru, I won't let you hurt anyone else. If you cross the line, I'll be there to stop you, no matter what it takes."

Geto nodded slowly as if he expected this response. "We'll see about that. But remember, Miyako, you're not the only one with a job to do."

With that, he stepped back into the shadows, disappearing into the stormy night. Miyako watched him go, a mixture of anger and sadness filling her heart. She knew that their paths would cross again, and when they did, it wouldn't be as old friends reminiscing. It would be like enemies, fighting for their beliefs.

As the rain poured down, Miyako tightened her grip on her sword and took a deep breath. The battle ahead would be difficult, but she was ready. She would face whatever challenges came her way, knowing that she was fighting for what was right, even if it meant facing those she once called friends.