Just Hanging Out

As the evening sun cast a warm glow through the large windows of the mentor quarters, Chase and Adam found themselves still engrossed in their video game marathon. Hours had passed in a blur of virtual battles and friendly banter, but now fatigue was beginning to set in, evident in the strained expressions on their faces as they squinted at the screen.

Chase rubbed his eyes, feeling the familiar sting of tiredness. "Man, I think we've been at this for way too long," he remarked, stretching his arms above his head.

Adam nodded in agreement, a yawn escaping his lips. "Yeah, my eyes are killing me. I didn't realize how late it had gotten."

With a sigh, Chase set down his controller and glanced out the window, watching as the last rays of sunlight painted the sky in hues of pink and orange. "I guess we should call it a night, huh?"

Adam nodded again, a small smile tugging at the corners of his lips. "Yeah, but thanks for hanging out with me, Chase. I had a lot of fun." He stood up and headed for the bathroom.

Chase was shocked to say the least, but he still returned the smile, feeling a warm contentment spread through him at Adam's words. 

"Anytime, Adam."

When was the last time they hung out together and not a single snide remark or short joke was directed his way? 

Adam popped out of the bathroom, toothbrush in mouth, almost like he had forgotten something.

"Oh bydaway, Iduncare thatcha beat me. M'still taller than you," Adam said with his mouth full of toothpaste.

Ah, there it was.

Chase rolled his eyes and couldn't help but chuckle as he retreated to his capsule. Some things would never change, and in a way, it was comforting.

It looked like the field trip was going to stay overnight in Mission Creek, seeing as Bree's capsule was still empty and there was no sign of her or Mr. Davenport's return. Chase got changed into his pajamas and Adam came by to do the same a few moments later. Once they had been changed, Chase shut off the lights and the capsule doors closed, activating the electromagnetic field that kept them upright at night.