Prologue

There's a strong sense of pride in my chest when I sit down in my usual spot at the bar and finally get to flash my real ID. The owner, Mr. Smith knows damn well that I've been under age for the last couple years, but for legal reasons he makes me flash a fake. I'm good friends with him and one of his sons. Most of highschool I was over at their house and wrestling with his sons. One time he said I was the daughter he never got, but he also said it's too bad I act like a man. Then he went back to calling me a dyke like he always does.

Garret finally comes and meets me and he already has my usual with him. "Got any plans for the holidays?" He asks and I shake my head. I'm back from college but I'm still not talking to my parents or family. There's just no where else I could go but back here. I'll probably find a parking lot and sleep in my truck. "You know you're always welcome at my parents house, it's just a little full right now."

"Hmm, holidays with your three brothers, six cousins, aunts, uncles, and your mom's book club? I think I'm good." I chuckle and sip my drink. "Suit yourself, you'd probably have to fight Lucy for the dog bed anyway." He says and smiles.

But his smile is odd. It's not his usual dorky smile he makes for me, today it's very cheeky. "What's got you so giddy?"

"Are you seeing anyone right now?" He asks me and I squint at him to see if he's actually gotten that stupid again. Apparently, Highschool didn't teach him a very good understanding of dyke. "Im not asking for me!" He corrects my suspension. I mostly just shrug off his question. "I'm single but I'm not really looking for anything." College takes up a lot of time and I've definitely learned the hard way that relationships need a lot of time too.

Before he can tell me why, someone shouts over the music for him and he rushes down the bar.

'Not really looking for anything' isn't correct. I really would want another girlfriend, or maybe if I could find a particular kind of guy. I've never been attracted to or even been involved with men, but maybe I could force one to work for me and my tight schedule. Supposedly men take less effort.

In all reality I think I'm still in love with a girl from my junior year of high school. Maybe I just haven't dated around enough yet but I still get sad when I think about losing her. We didn't break up for any bad reasons, I was just wrapped up in school and work and didn't have the extra time to spare for her. Sorta the predicament I'm in now. When the conversation of me going off to college came up, we kinda fell apart. She was a year younger so I'd be moving away and she'd be staying, and she didn't handle long distances well.

It was puppy dog love but she was amazing.

Garret practically comes dancing back with a card in his hand. "Wanna play the game?" He asks and I eagerly nod yes.

When I just started college I was really depressed and stressed out, so whenever I was in town and at the bar Garret did his best to try and cheer me up for a night or two. The game just kinda became a cheesey thing between us. It goes like this: if he catches someone with a fake ID he brings it to me, and I decide if they stay or not. To make it interesting and obey the law —unlike what they did for me— I always find some stupid reason they have to leave. Like, their hair is too straight, or they smile weird. Never that they're actually underage.

But this time, when he hands me the ID I nearly spit out my whiskey. Is this why he was asking if I was single? "Too young." I mumble and slide the card back to him upside down so I don't look at her face too long. "Oh come on. That's all you got?... Her nose isn't too big? Or her hair isn't too frizzy?"

"Nope. She's just too young." I sigh and down what's left of my drink. "So she's not the one you think got away?" He huffs and points down the bar. I refuse to look though. "And just so you know Vannah, she did not peak in high school." He tries a different tactic and it does peak my interest. Granted, so did her ID.