the end to the old life

Two years ago
Ha-na is 18, Junho is 14

Do Junho POV
After I get out of school, I meet with Ha-na and we walk home. "How was school?" Ha-na asked, I shrugged my shoulders. "It was fine, exams are next week though."  I groan internally, knowing that I'm going to fail them. "You won't fail them if you study." Ha-na said. "Studying sucks."

After we get home, Ha-yeong immediately clinged onto my legs. "Hi kiddo, how was school?" I ask, patting her head. "It was so good! Me and my friends played tag and I won!" Ha-yeong exclaimed. "You won? Good job, you're better than Junho." Ha-na spoke, teasing me. "Hey! I'm not that bad at tag!" I try to defend myself but Dad walks through. "Calm down kids, Junho, take out the trash." I leave to take out the trash.

After I get back into the house, I wash my hands before walking over to Ha-yeong and Ha-na, they're laughing while Ha-na brushes Ha-yeong's hair. After Ha-na gets done, I start tickling Ha-yeong. "Junny! Stop it!" Ha-yeong exclaims, laughing loudly. "Hmm, no I think I'm good." I reply still tickling her.

Mini timeskip
After we all sit down to eat, I sit next to my dad. "This food tastes great mom." I say, as we all start eating, after a few minutes, Dad passes out while throwing up. "Dad!" I exclaim, making sure he doesn't hit his head. Mom pukes and passes out to. I check dads pulse and immediately tear up. "Ha-na... Dad doesn't have a pulse.." I say, before throwing up, after I stop. I go to Ha-yeong and Ha-na, Ha-yeong is unconscious.

"Ha-yeong.." Ha-na sobs as she cups Ha-yeong's cheek, "Ha-na.." Ha-yeong weakly spoke. "Ha-yeong..." I say, crying as well, laying next to her. "No.. Please.." Ha-na begs as Ha-yeong passes out. As I'm about to yell, I pass out as well.

One year later
I wake up laying in a really white place, "what the? Did I die?" I ask myself, getting up. Before hearing a lady's voice. "Do Junho? Do you need a hand?" I immediately turn around and see a old looking woman holding her hand out. I take and and stand up, before bowing. "Thank you. " I say quietly, "Wait, how do you know my name?

"This is Yung. You're in a coma right now." She spoke, not answering my question. "Coma?" I ask slowly, looking around at the white room. "Does that mean?" "You're in  vegastive state. You're residing between life and death." She explains. "I am?" I ask, my breath shaky. "But.. My sisters.... Mom and dad- I'm 14 I can't die yet.." I say. "But if you sign up to become a counter we can wake you up from your coma." The woman says. "Counter? Like a kitchen counter?" I say confused. The woman softly chuckles.

"Follow me." She says, walking off, I slowly follow her. We stop a few feet away and a door slowly appears in from yellow light. It opens and wind starts slightly blowing in.

We sit on a white bench. "You want me to catch evil spirits?" I ask, the woman nods. "Do you think I can do it?" I ask. "I mean, I'm like a teenager." I continue. "Saving humans from evil spirits us not easy to do. You could get hurt. Perhaps, you could even die. Sure, being strong is important to become a Counter but the most important thing is being dedicated to saving lives and that's you. You don't need to give me an answer right now. You can think about it."

"Can I ask something?" I ask, looking at her, she nods. "So, since this is like the afterlife. Do you know what happened to my family? Ha-na.. Ha-yeong..?" I ask. "Do Ha-na?" She asks, I nod. "She's a Counter."

After a few minutes of just sitting in silence. "I'll do it. I'll become a Counter." I say. 

A few minutes later, I wake up in the hospital, a oxygen mask is attached to my  face. I slowly sit up as my hair starts to curl up. "I look at my right hand and notice dots on my finger tips and palm. "Junho?" I hear a very familiar voice ask, who could it be- wait... Ha-na?! I look at the seat that's next to the hospital bed. "Ha-na... Is that you?" I ask, as I take the oxygen mask off. "Holy shit, you're awake!" Ha-na exclaimed happily, immediately pulling me into a tight hug. I hug back, placing my head on her shoulder. "How long was I in a coma?" I ask. "A year. So you're 15 now." I break from the hug. "A year?!" I ask, shocked.

After I get discharged from the hospital. "Let's get you new clothes before we meet with the others." Ha-na says, looking at my school uniform, the same one that I was wearing during the incident.

After I get changed into the clothes, it was a plain dark red hoodie, blue jeans, and black converse. "Holy- is that a blackcard?!"
I ask, looking at Ha-na as she puts the card back into her wallet. "Yeah, why?" She says with a monotone voice. "Did you marry a rich guy or something?" I ask, as we get into a taxi. "No, you get one with the job." She says like it's plain knowledge.

"Before you woke up from the coma, I'm sure you met the silver hair lady, Wi-gen." She says, I nod. "Yeah. I also met this younger lady who's probably not much older than you, she had like brown hair." "That's Ji-soo. Your guard in the otherside." Ha-na says, showing me her right hand, that also has the dots on her finger tips and palm. Seeing our driver side-eye her from the front mirror, she leans forward. "Sir, I'm not a weirdo. I'm just joking." She says, fake chuckling.

I cover my mouth to hold in my laughs, as Ha-na glares at me.

After we get to our stop, I see that we're in front of a place called Eonnie's noodles. "We're here." Ha-na says as we walk into the restaurant, to see an older looking woman and two men, snapping the heads off of dried fish.

The woman stands up. "Hello." I say, bowing slightly. "What? He's a kid? Hey, how old are you?" The black haired guy asks. "Uh.. 15 sir." I say awkwardly as the guy looks annoyed. "Mo-tak. Be nice, What's your name son?" The other, grey haired dude asks me. "Do Junho, sir." I say, looking at him. "Hello Junho, let me introduce you to everybody, this lovely woman right here is Chu Mae-ok. This man is Ga Mo-tak, and the girl over there is Do Ha-na. And I'm Jang Cheol-jung" the man introduces.

"Hello." I bow again. "Wait, Your last name I Do?" MsChu asks. "Yeah." "Ha-na does too, my gosh, you two look alike." MsChu says, as Ha-na walks over to me. "Oh yeah that's because-" I get cut off by Ha-na lightly pinching me. "I need to talk with the new Counter privately." She says, before dragging me into the area in the back that looks like a gym. "Don't tell them that we're related." Ha-na says as she leans against the wall. "Why?" I ask. "And especially don't tell them about how you and I went into comas. I don't want them to know." She continues, ignoring my question.

"But why?" I ask. "It's none of their business and I just don't want anyone to know. Okay? And for the related part, just wait and see." She says, ruffling my hair. "Gosh, you've grown so much." She says, I playfully elbow her. "You sound like mom, stop." I say playfully.

After we go back into the main area. "Let's take a photo!" MsChu happily said as she fixes her Camera. After a few photos. "Let's act like besties!" MsChu says, I wrap my arm around Ha-na's shoulder, not noticing the shocked looks. "What?" Ha-na asks in a monotone voice. "You're not throwing and punching him off of you!"
Mo-tak exclaims, I look confused. "Why would she-" "He's my younger brother."
Ha-na cuts me off. "That explains why you two look alike and have the same last name." Cheol-jung says, Mo-tak looks at me.

"How did you get into a coma." He says, Ha-na looks at me with a 'don't say anything' look. "I can't tell you, sorry." I say.

About an hour later, we're sitting down and eating noodles, I'm sitting next to Ha-na. "So, we don't have a bed for you yet, so you'll have to stay in my room." Ha-na says, I nod, and keep eating the noodles.

After we get into Ha-na's room, it's basic, black walls, a few bookshelves. "I'm surprised that there aren't a bunch of Jungkook posters." I tease as at our old home, Ha-na's room was filled with Jungkook posters. Ha-na glares at me playfully. "Get to sleep, training us going to be hard tomorrow." She says, sitting on her bed. "So is this going to be like when we lived at that one house and you made me sleep on the floor everytime you had friend's over because they needed my bed?" I ask, Ha-na rolls her eyes. "Lay down. Stay on your side." I lay in her bed, facing the wall. She covers me up and tucks me in.

"Night, Junny." She says, laying down as well. "Night."