The First Day 'Home'

The first day of the Christmas holidays
--------------------------------------------------------------

The day of the holidays, both brothers woke early to get dressed and ready. Sirius knew his mother wouldn't allow the clothes he usually wore, which is why he packed it all at the bottom of his trunk he packed the night before.

The long haired boy found a pair of clothes Walburga had made him pack for school, putting them on. Looking in the mirror, his hair was the only thing differentiating him from his brother. Trunks ready, the brothers went downstairs to wait for their mother.

Horrified looks followed Sirius when Professor McGonagall realised where he was going. She'd heard the stories from the boys elder cousin, Andromeda. She knew it all. McGonagall wasn't the only one who looked horrified, most of the professors did.

Walburga met both the boys, greeting them in French. "Bonjour Maman" Regulus said, nudging Sirius in the rib. "Oh yeah.." he mumbled, "Bonjour Maman, c'est un plaisir de vous revoir." Sirius quickly added, remembering his mother's expectations.

Once the boys were home, the elder brother did as asked, going to put his things away in his bedroom. It was just as he'd remembered. Anything he thought Walburga and Orion wouldn't approve of was quickly put away in the back of his wardrobe.

Both boys were doing their own thing when their house elf, Kreacher, walked in. "Mistress Walburga asks that Master Regulus and Master Sirius dress themselves for dinner and make their way downstairs." Sirius groaned, dragging himself up out of bed. Unlike his previous self the last time he was here, he was terrified to upset his parents. Where he'd usually put on a leather jacket, this time, he wore a white shirt, dark green waistcoat, trousers and his fathers cravat. Whilst it may seem too fancy for a dinner to the usual person, that was the wish of these bourgeoisies.

Out of habit, he picked up his wand, forgetting Walburga didn't like it. Downstairs, he greeted both his parents, in French of course, sitting down. Walburga didn't look best pleased, glaring at her younger son, gesturing towards Sirius.

Regulus nodded, reminding Sirius he couldn't have his wand. To which Sirius hurriedly apologized. It was then the younger brother realised just how little Sirius was rationally thinking, he'd never usually wear things like that, let alone would he apologize to his parents.

"This isn't good enough, Sirius. Your brother promised me you would behave yourself." Walburga relayed, her words dripping with disappointment. Sirius tried explaining it was just force of habit, and he'd forgotten. But Walburga didn't listen to Sirius telling her it wouldn't happen again.

Regulus kept his head up, though was avoiding eye contact with his mother. "Come, Sirius." Walburga spat. Fear pitted inside Sirius' stomach as he got up.

Pained screams came from the room beside Regulus and his father, who were eating as normal. Orion was anyway. Regulus was trying his best to ignore just how much this resembled before Sirius had left.

A while later, a shaking Sirius, and a sly looking Walburga joined the boys once again. They sat down, Sirius' wand nowhere to be seen.

The rest of dinner was silent, Sirius was in too much pain to eat, so he just played around with his food. The silence was occasionally broken with Orion's brief mentions of his sons grades.

After a horribly quiet dinner, Sirius and Regulus cleared their plates, Regulus' half empty, Sirius' untouched. Upstairs, Sirius simply layed on his bed. Contemplating if he'd made the wrong decision, which he eventually decided he hadn't. Sirius couldn't remember when he started getting tired, or when he fell asleep, but some time in his thinking, he did. Something he'd never been able to do at home.