Chapter 29: Goodbyes

Start from the beginning

Maegor was off on campaign, she knew she would have to face death alone just as her siblings did. She readied herself to face Rhaenys and Aegon again, readied to defend herself. As dread gripped her throat an old feeling returned to her, stalling all thoughts. 

She felt the heat of her faded bond come back to life as a familiar pop sounded through the room. There she was, beautiful and divine as always. She slithered up to Visenya's bedside, slipping under the covers after asking everyone to leave. 

"Morgana, my darling." Visenya smiled as she felt her rotting skin burn with the sparks of their reborn bond. "I suppose you are here to see me off?"

"Yes... I'm here to say goodbye. Just as I was with Rhaenys and Aegon before..." Morgana proclaimed, playing with Visenya's hair just as Visenya had done to her so long ago. 

"Do you think they'll be cross with me?" Visenya asked. 

"I think they'll be much too happy to see you to think of anything else." Morgana comforted, kissing Visenya's cheeks. 

"My Maegor still cries out for you. You haven't returned to him since the trial of seven against the warrior's sons." 

"I will be seeing him next," Morgana admitted, touching Visenya just as she did when the queen was young and beautiful. 

"I-I can feel you again." Visenya's voice cracked, smiling as she felt the bond she thought had died so long ago. She had mourned its loss for so long. 

"Thank you, for caring for me Visenya Targaryen." 

The life in Visenya faded, but Morgana was by her side. 

~

Maegor couldn't breathe, he couldn't feel, he tried to move but his body refused to listen. Terror coursed through him as he felt himself grow colder. 

At the end of the war council, Maegor had remained alone in the throne room. He had no idea how it happened. He had been pacing the floor one moment and the next he could feel the iron throne slashing at his wrists. 

He felt the throbbing pain there even now, blood trickling down his fingers, hot and unyielding. He choked on his own blood feeling the blade from one of the swords on the throne behind him impal the back of his neck. 

He was going to die alone. 

Fear raced through his heart as he heard a gasp of horror in front of him. He felt her hands, soft and cold caressing his face. 

The warm heat of the dragon bond calmed his terror as he felt her. The strain in his unresponsive muscles melted as his eyes met hers. 

His little nymph. 

Plucked from the icy waters and given to him as a birthright by the fourteen flames themselves. His fear faded as he abandoned the pain and focused on her tear-stained face. 

He couldn't speak, he wanted to call out her name, to thank the gods for bringing her back to him. He felt her kiss him, her soft lips that he had dreamed of every moment since she had gone away. 

"I'm glad you were my first everything... I love you...Thank you for teaching me, my warrior king."

Maegor the cruel, may have been punished for his wickedness but the gods allowed for his Dragon witch to be with him in his final moments. Maegor Targaryen too did not die alone.