01 ― my mother, the stranger.

❝ we still have each other

we still have each other. 

VERONICA REED WAS A STRANGER.

She was their mother, yet as Vincent and Myra stood in the living room of her small apartment, they felt like they hardly knew her. Vincent had spent the first thirteen years and a half of his life living with her but felt like he knew nothing.

Vincent held onto Myra's hand as Veronica looked at them as if she were wondering what she was supposed to do next. Vincent stared back at her, taking in her appearance.

It had been almost three years since he last saw her. She looked so different, but he figured that was normal. He himself didn't look like the same kid he had all those years ago when he and Myra moved in with their grandma.

Vincent glanced down at Myra, watching as her free hand moved up to clutch the locket around her neck. It was the last thing she had of their grandma. She never took it off and when she was feeling sad, she opened the locket and looked at the picture inside where three of them were happy with ginormous smiles on their faces.

Vincent looked down at his own arm, his eyes landing on the watch around his wrist. Myra had her locket. Vincent had his watch. The items that they held so dear that had been given to them by their grandma. They were reminders of the precious memories that they had made and would treasure for the rest of their lives.

If he was being honest, Vincent didn't think that he had ever been happier in his entire life than when he lived with his grandma. But he should have known that the happiness would be short lived. He had learned a long time ago that nothing perfect could last forever.

"So," Vincent finally spoke. "Where are our rooms? Where can we put our things?"

"Uh, follow me," Veronica replied, her voice sounded so different than how Vincent remembered. "I'll show you."

Vincent continued to hold onto Myra's hand as they followed their mother down the hallway. She stopped in front of an open door.

"The apartment only has two bedrooms. I'll be sleeping on the couch so that you can have your own rooms," Veronica told them as she pointed to the first bedroom. "So Vincent, this one is for you. Um, you can use the dresser if you want. I just cleaned it out for you."

She walked a little further down the hallway. "That's the bathroom." She pointed towards the door. "And here, is your room, Valyn."

"It's Myra," she corrected her. "I go by Myra now."

Valyn was her first name and Myra was her middle name after her grandma. Ever since the Reed siblings had lived with their grandma, she started going by Myra. Valyn was a name of the past, a name that no longer belonged to the girl that Veronica knew.