Chapter 19

Day 11; A couple of hours later...

Her head ached a little, but it was so nice to be eating out that she chose to ignore it.

"How's your mother?"

"Hmm?"

Lee smiled. "How's your mother?" He'd forgotten to ask earlier; they'd picked up where they'd left off when the phone rang.

"Oh," she smiled back at him and took a sip of her water. "She's fine. Having the time of her life."

"When's she planning on being back?" Lee popped a piece of the succulent steak into his mouth and slowly closed his eyes. "Hmmm. This is excellent!"

"Not until the middle of August."

"Well, I'm glad you got a chance to talk with her. I know you miss her."

Amanda smiled again despite the headache. "Yeah. It's been several years since we've been away from each other for this long."

Lee took another bite of his steak. "Well, I think it's great that the two of you are so close."

Amanda gazed sympathetically at him. It was difficult to imagine what it would have been like to never have her relationship with her mother. Of course, they'd grown especially close since her divorce when her mother had come to live with her in order to help with Philip and Jamie.

"Yes. It's very special." Her stomach wasn't enjoying the dinner. She set her fork down gently beside the plate, trying not to draw attention to how she was feeling. She didn't want Lee to worry any more than he already was.

"So," Lee reached across the table for her hand. "Remember a couple weeks ago when you asked me when I knew I had fallen in love with you?" He waited for her to nod her head. "I'd love to hear your side of the story."

"Ah, Lee," Amanda hedged.

"Oh, come on. Humor me."

"Well, I guess I was lonely. My divorce was only a year old, and I was still hurting. I was bored at home, and I was settling for someone just because he was steady and dependable. Then you barreled into my life and quite literally sidetracked me."

"Wait a minute," Lee frowned. "Are you saying I was an escape?"

Amanda laughed outright but involuntarily grimaced and reached up to her head.

Lee squeezed her hand gently. "Hey," his thumb skimmed her knuckles. "You okay?"

"Hmm?" Amanda's eyes snapped up to his. "Oh, yeah, I'm fine. Just a little headache."

Concern flashed through his eyes. "Is that a pregnancy symptom?"

"No, I don't think so. At least, I don't remember it being a symptom I've ever had before."

"Maybe we should get you back to the Agency." Lee folded his crisp, white napkin and laid it on the table.

Amanda squeezed his hand. "No, I'm not ready to leave yet, please, Lee?"

He sighed, but acquiesced.

"Anyway, no. You were not an 'escape'." Amanda picked her story back up. "But I guess it does explain why I agreed to do something so dangerous when you first snatched me at the bus station."

"Snatched..." Lee chuckled and shook his head as he popped another succulent morsel into his mouth.

Amanda's eyebrows rose. "Do you have a better word for it?"

"No, I guess 'snatched' works," He chuckled again.

"I was attracted to you pretty early on," she admitted. "And it was exciting being a part of something so much bigger than myself, but you didn't even try to hide the fact that you didn't want me around."