Chapter 3 - Final Selection

Pyua had sent the young student on their way not too long ago, however, the young child was still quite a ways away from the place they gratefully called home. They walked calmly through the forest as they saw Mount Fujikasane in the distance, its purple petals of wisteria flowing in the dancing winds. Young Y/n didn’t really know how to feel, yes they wanted to be a demon slayer, but what if they failed? What if they couldn’t go home to Pyua? No. “I will come home, no demon will stop me. I will take their lives as they tried to take my tongue.”

Though quicker than the student would have liked, they arrived at the base of the mountain. The rays of sunlight cast a purple hue through the trees, beauty. “Are you going to get going? What’s a child doing here?” A monotone voice asked from behind the dazed Y/n, turning around they saw a boy(?) Who had black long hair with teal tips and teal eyes, and they wore a black robe with white clouds. “I’m here for the final selection,” Y/n answered calmly and quietly as the boy looked at them with a blank expression. “The meeting place is at the middle of the mountain.” The boy answered and swiftly walked past the child, and although the boy seemed rude or uncaring Y/n sensed nothing from him. And that made them curious, they jogged slightly to the black-haired boy who glanced at them slightly.

“What?” He asked as they walked among the dancing winds and purple trees, “What’s your name? Mine is Haneochi Y/n.” The child whispered among the winds and the boy found himself caught in the child’s peace, “Tokito Muichiro.” He whispered back, and the child let a small smile break through their lips as they walked silently side by side to the meeting spot of those who had dared and trained to take the Final Selection. The two students arrived swiftly to the middle of the mountain and there stood two girls in front of a red gate. Y/n looked around, observing the other contestants. And though most were male Y/n’s eyes caught a timid girl, her hair in pigtails and her eyes a vast blue.

“Welcome, those of you here now are the students who have come forth to take the Final Selection to join the Demon Slayer Corps.” One of the girls spoke and the other spoke. “This is the middle point of the mountain, and past this point, the wisteria trees no longer grow. The top is infested with demons that you must survive seven days with, if you survive these seven days meet back here. We will be waiting for you. Good luck.” All the students walked forward and to the top of the mountain, for now, the Sun was shining and protecting them. But nightfall will come, and demons will have no mercy upon anyone who have dared to try and kill them.
______________

ONE
Nightfall dawned upon the students and it scared Y/n to hear the screams of contestants far away, pleading into the night for someone to save them. And though the child would rush as fast as their little legs could they usually viewed a horrible sight and another demon to kill.

TWO
Y/n had survived and fed themselves with some found river water and berries, and for a moment they felt peaceful again, but as dusk would approach they would remember cold reality. Another demon lay dead at the feet of the child, that was the sixth one in two days.

THREE
Though they tried, Y/n watched a young man die against the side of a tree as Y/n tried to stop the blood flowing out of their abdomen. ‘Remember the blood that stains your hands. For the one who bleeds should not die in vain.’ Y/n told themselves, and they never died in vain. Because the demon would end up in the same place, at their feet.

FOUR
The girl had lived and Y/n quickly treated the bleeding cut. “A child?” The girl muttered, “How cruel.” The girl continued. Y/n looked at the girl in her blue eyes and smiled thinly, the girl radiated concern, concern for them. “What’s your name?” The girl asked quietly as the Sun slowly appeared throughout the forest. “Haneochi Y/n.” The child answered just as quietly, “Kanzaki Aoi.”

FIVE
Y/n stuck to Aoi’s side, aiding the scared girl in battle, Aoi was a water breather and Aoi quickly learned that the child who saved them was to be feared. Among demons and man.

SIX
Y/n and Aoi had finally come across Muichiro who stared blankly at the two but gave a small wave and thank you as Y/n handed him some berries. More screams unsettled the night as Y/n took a demon's head clean off, painless. Aoi would watch in fascination when she could, ‘How cruel.’ She thought. ‘No child should fight against demons at the age of five.’

SEVEN
The final day dawned upon the survivor’s and past this coming night, they would go back to the safety of the wisteria trees. “Form Three: Heavenly Ascent.” The demon's head came off painlessly, and twelve fell by their hand. And come the day they face the demon who killed their brother, they will fall too.

The Sun brightened the vast mountain as those who survived met back in the middle, Y/n looked around to see who did and the result was unsettling. Like they still had the blood of the fallen on their hands, a boy farther away, Aoi, Muichiro, and themselves stood alive and greeted by the two girls. Y/n reassured themselves, they did not die in vain. May their next life be peaceful. They prayed, and Y/n wished their life was the same.

“Hello again, we are glad to see the ones who have made it and feel sorrow for those who passed.” One of the girls started and just as before the other continued. “Please come forward and pick the ore that your blade will be made off after you have told us. Please return to your homes.”

{Hey...still alive. So sorry for the year wait and to whoever waited this long, you have faith and loyalty. Truly though I am sorry. But this story is also not my highest priority among my works, that goes to my original story The Time Untøld. But I do not plan on abandoning this story I promise. God bless you all, hope you have a good day, afternoon, evening, or night.}