PROLOUGE

I knocked on the door as I waited for someone to answer it.

“Your book is doing so well, Miss Sage!” said a familiar voice as the door opened.

“Thank you, Gali. And drop the “Miss” para kang tanga.” I rolled my eyes as I replied to Gali. Maka-”miss” akala mo hindi ko best friend since elem eh?!

“Panira ampota. I'm trying to be professional here?!” Angal naman nito.

I rolled my eyes. We're currently at Gali's house, naghahanap ng papanoorin. Gali scanned through every channel of the TV to find a show for us to watch until..

“THERE'S DAVON DEL FUENTE! NUMBER 3 HITTING THE LAST SHOT FOR THE PANTHERS TO WIN THE CHAMPIONSHIP AND IT GOES IN! PANTHERS ARE CHAMPIONS!” bungad ng isang channel na nalipatan ni Gali.

As soon as I heard that name, napa tingin ako sa TV. Davon Del Fuente.. Gali was about to switch the channel, but I stopped her. She looked at me confused, but I didn't care. I mean, who would've wanted to watch their ex's game?

Yes, you heard it right, Davon Del Fuente is my ex.

My eyes were glued on to the TV, watching as his team cheered for their win. There was a brief moment of the camera on him, smiling as he hugged one of his teammates. The whole Panthers crowd was cheering, jumping around, yelling. The awarding of the MYTHICAL FIVE and MVP was now starting.

“Our Mythical Five! We're starting off with Maxiel Ricardo! Next, we have Oscar Perez! Moving on, we have Charles Liren! We have Lewis Hernaez! Lastly, we have the amazing Davon Del Fuente!” said the announcer.

“Our MVP for this season is none other than DAVON DEL FUENTE!”

He walked up the center as he took his trophy.. The smile he had on was so genuine and full of love.. People wouldn't have guessed that he once thought of quitting playing basketball. Because I was the only one who knew.

“‘Te don't tell me ‘di ka pa rin over diyan sa ex mong ‘yan?” Gali suddenly said, cutting my train of thoughts.

“Gago! Matagal na ‘kong moved on diyan.” I said as I rolled my eyes.

Lies, Sage. Lies.

As the interviews came, I waited for him to get interviewed. When he finally came into the screen, I swore the world stopped..

“How are you feeling, Davon? You won the championship!” asked the reporter.

“Uh yeah, I'm feeling really really good about it. I'm so happy for me and my team. It was a tough season, yet we pushed through and won.” He said with a smile.

“How is it being the MVP this season?” pagtanong uli nung reporter.

“I'm really happy! I've worked hard for this, I mean, we all did too, but I'm proud of myself to be considered the “most valuable player” this season.” He replied again.

“Is there someone who helped you get through this season?” asked the reporter, which made my heart stop.

“Uh yeah!” replied Davon.

“May I ask who that someone is?”

“Uh, she has been my motivation ever since I was in high school. She's the one that keeps me going. Uhm, a lot of people don't know this, but I really wanted to quit basketball for good in high school, but she helped me get through it and made me stay. She has been my motivation until now.” He said with his eyes sparkling.

“HOY ‘TE ANO RAW?!” sigaw ni Gali sa'kin pero hindi ko siya pinansin.

“May we know who's ‘she’?”

“I'm sorry, but no. We aren't really speaking now, but I hope she knows she's still the one who keeps me going.” Davon replied with a smile.

“Aw.. any messages for her? She might be watching.” sabi ng reporter.

“I doubt but hi! you know who you are, I wanna say that this championship is for you. This trophy is for you. Thank you for keeping me going. I hope you're okay, i hope you're doing well, i hope you're happy, and i hope that one day if I ran into you, you'll know that all of my achievements in this sport is because of you.” He said with the most genuine smile.

“Tangina…” Pabulong kong sabi.

“TANGINA SAGE PARA SA ‘YO ‘YON!” Gali said freaking out.

“‘TE TANGINA.. ANG HABA NAMAN NG BUHOK MO?!” sigaw ni Gali sa'kin.

“Galilea! calm your shit down!” sigaw ko.

“PA'NO?! THAT WAS FOR YOU! IKAW LANG NAMAN ANG NAG PUSH SAKANIYA NOONG HIGHSCHOOL PARA HINDI MAG QUIT!” sigaw ulit ni Gali.

“B-baka naman hindi lang ako..” sabi ko.

“MAMA MO!” Gali said, then raised her middle finger.

“EH BAKA NAMAN KASI HINDI TALAGA AKO?!” napasigaw na rin tuloy ako.

“ANO'NG HINDI IKAW?! THAT WAS SO CLEAR THAT IT WAS FOR YOU!”

“Okay, bahala ka riyan mag assume. Basta ako, I'm not getting my hopes up.” sabi ko then crossed my arms.

“Alam mo, minsan tanga ka rin talaga eh. Lord, bakit niyo po ginawang tanga 'tong bestiekells ko..” sabi ni Gali.

Gali was right. That was for me. Davon and I's story goes back to highschool, let's take a trip down memory lane..

﹒⪩⪨﹒