Chapter 44: Through The Connection

Start from the beginning

When Cassius returned back home that day with the disappointing news, Kian had immediately dragged him outside right then to search for Leon after he got to understand the full picture. The two of them did not let me step out of the house despite the relentless pleadings I did to them in these four days, claiming that it would be too dangerous for me to do so.

I had barely caught any sleep in all this while because my continuous worry for Leo keeps me up at night, making sleep nearly impossible for me to get.

And Reece... My poor boy. He's taking it worse than any of us. I have caught him several times crying to himself as he begged Leon to come back home. And the times he's not crying for his father figure to make a safe journey back home, he's clinging onto me as if I would disappear next.

I use my words to assure him, stroke his hair as I tell him about how the Beast is unbeatable and no one could hurt him. That our Leon is strong and nothing bad would happen to him. I hug him and cheer him up as I remind him of the great things he's capable of and the funny memories the three of us have shared together.

Currently, after a lot of begging and convincing, he had managed to get Kian's approval of going on a hunt with him. He wants to learn about how to prey on other demons simultaneously training to get stronger so that when Leon comes back home he could impress him with his abilities.

I whipped around when I felt a presence behind me, taking a subconcious step backward when I saw Cassius standing so close to me.

Regarding Cassius, his behaviour has progressively been getting concerning. He talks to himself even at later hours of the night, always seeming to argue with himself about something.

There are dark circles around his tired eyes and his hair keep getting messier each passing day. There's a certain emptiness in his brown eyes that wasn't there before. I could sense that something was very wrong with him.

"Cassius?" I voiced out just as his pupils dilated to the maximum, making his brown eyes appear black. Dark and hollow like how he himself currently was.

He took a step closer to me, as if walking in a trance with his irises fixed at me.
"Are you okay, Cassy?" I felt myself being pressed against the window when he didn't stop coming nearer. Uneasiness filled in my guts at the blank look on his face just as my heart started pounding faster in apprehension and fear.

Fear? Cassius never made me feel fear. He always made me feel the safest. His presence always comforted me, relaxed me. His closeness never put my body on alert.

Something was seriously wrong with all of this.

Leon's disappearence, Cassius' strange behaviour...

Someone is behind all of this. Someone who wants to cause a ruckus in our lives. Someone who's planning to cause only chaos and ruins for all of us. I think I may have an idea about who put an evil eye on us. It just couldn't be anyone else because no sensible demon would want to mess with Leon and his family.

Sylvia or Areon. It's either of those two. Or perhaps, it's the both of them. Working together.

Sylvia hates me and Areon despises Leon.

But then, why would they target Cassius?

"(Y/N)..." It didn't feel like Cassius at all. My Shadow would never look at me with such hungry eyes. He raised his hand, bringing it to touch my cheek as he caressed it softly.

What could have been a sweet gesture didn't stay so when his touch became sensual, lust filling in his eyes.

"Cassius!" I slapped his hand away, giving him a hard look. "What are you doing?!" I demanded. It seems as if he's being controlled by someone else. He seems to be completely under a spell and I have no idea on how to get him back.