Until Forever • 8

"The house is very far from the city. I never realized it." Rudra remarked, more to himself than anyone.

He felt suffocated in the house. And he had good reason for that. In a moment of rage and annoyance, he had stormed up to the terrace. He couldn't comprehend their requests now. Not their guilt either. Nor the regret. The person that he was, he always wondered why humans did things like that. What was the point of having momentary judgments and anger only to suffer later? Wasn't it always nicer to observe and understand the matter first? Screw that. Wasn't it nicer to believe in your relationships? Especially when the man in question was someone like Shivaay. 

He sighed. The gentle breeze made him feel better. Yet he couldn't shake the feeling of dread settling in his heart. Had Shivaay taken the right decision to stay back for a day? 

"I am very far from everything. I never realized it too..." Om whispered. 

Rudra suppressed the urge to roll his eyes simply because he had been doing the same from the moment he had stepped into the Oberoi Mansion. He was exhausted. He eyed his older brother warily. 

Om and his gaze met. Rudra saw the same regret shining in his eyes. He had to look away. 

Rudra felt a hand on his shoulder. He cringed but kept his cool. 

"How are you, Rudra?" Om asked. 

Just to spite him, Rudra grinned. "Perfect."

Though, he wasn't lying. He was indeed happy. What he and Shivaay had craved since their childhood, they had built it with Anika, Sahil and Bhavya. Their world. Sure there were days when they missed their family but they surely didn't miss the drama and toxicity. They didn't miss the burden of expectations. They didn't miss the bad blood. They were genuinely happy in their own little bubble. He never had been happier. 

"What are you doing professionally?" Om was curious. 

"I was pitching my start-up idea to a few investors. I want to create an app for all fitness enthusiasts. I recently got a good deal. It's in the works now. We are looking to launch it by September." 

Rudra smiled. Who would have thought? He and work? Ha. But well. He had found his niche and along with Bhavya, he made a bloody good business team. He did seek Shivaay's advice from time to time, but on the whole, it was his own baby. He finally found his calling. 

"September? On Shivaay's birthday?" Om's face lit up. 

Rudra's face softened. He remembered. A sudden punch of sadness knocked on his chest. They always celebrated Shivaay's birthday like it was a festival. Because it was. They had to thank god for sending him to this realm. 

"I want to make him proud." Rudra smiled in response. 

Om nodded. He then patted his shoulder. "He is always proud of you. You were there for him when all of us failed. You trusted him."

The spark of anger was back with a vengeance. Yeah right. Suddenly, Rudra wanted to push Om away. 

He just slapped his hand away. "You should have been there. And might I say, even before me."

Om's eyes lowered and his shoulders slumped. "I was in a weird space. I...I thought everyone had feet of clay, that everyone would eventually disappoint. Everyone would be like Dad..."

This time, Rudra did push Om away. Harshly. Om stumbled back from the sheer force of it all. 

"Shivaay Bhaiya was anything but like Dad, Om!" Rudra raged. "Dad didn't wait for you in the rehabilitation centre. Dad didn't support your dreams. Dad didn't burn his hands cooking for you. Dad didn't hold you when you couldn't even look into the mirror. Dad didn't work extra hard so that you could pursue your passions! Do you understand this you fucking bastard?" 

• Echoes •On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara