13- visitor

I'd had the most amazing evening with Dino, everything was perfect. I finally felt like someone wanted and cared about me, that was until I had to go back to my fosterers. I knew I was in trouble as I'd gone out while I was still grounded.

When the sun had finally sunk below the horizon, Dino walked me back to the house. 

"Thank you for such an amazing evening" I said blushing slightly.

"It was my pleasure" Dino replied with a smile. "Well I guess I'll see you tomorrow at school?" 

I nodded before giving Dino a departing hug. After making sure he had gone round the corner I walked up the driveway to the house and rang the doorbell. Seconds later Richard opened the door, he looked furious.

"Where the hell were you?"  his voice was calm but filled with anger.

"I... I was just with a friend"

"Don't lie to me!" Richard snapped. "I saw that boy walk you home!"

I avoided his gaze, not knowing what to say. I knew I couldn't persuade him that Dino was just a friend.

"Well who was he then? Your boyfriend?" Richard questioned. I just shrugged still not meeting his eyes.

"Look at me when I'm talking to you!" he said getting more impatient. "Now answer the question!"

"Fine! He's not my boyfriend but I do like him and I think he likes me too." I admitted.

The anger grew in Richards face and he looked like he was going to explode. He clenched his fists and took a deep breath before answering. "So you went out alone with a boy? And you like him even though we told you that you weren't allowed a boyfriend?"

"It's not that big of a deal! If Max was here then he would be happy for me!" I said rolling my eyes. 

"WELL HE'S NOT HERE IS HE?! HE'S NOT CAPABLE OF MANAGING YOU AND YOUR UNCONTROLLABLE BEHAVIOUR!" Richard shouted, finally running out of patience.

I just glared at him in hatred and slight shock. 

"GO TO YOUR ROOM NOW! I'M NOT LETTING YOU OUT UNTIL DINNER! DO YOU UNDERSTAND?"

"Yeah yeah..." I mumbled. I didn't even have the energy anymore to stand up for myself.

As soon as I got into my room I heard the familiar click of my door being locked. I sighed sitting down on my bed. I couldn't even go on my phone as Richard and Fiona had taken it away from me again. 

I laid there for more than an hour. I was thinking about my life and how much I hated it, how I had taken my time with Max for granted. Suddenly the sound of a car pulling up outside made me snap out of my train of thought. I got up and went over to the window to see who it was. I looked at the Aston Martin parked on the driveway and gasped. It was Max...

Immediately I ran to my door before remembering it was locked. I glanced back over at the window and saw Max getting out the car and start walking towards the front door. A couple of seconds later I heard the ring of the doorbell and the sound of Fiona opening the door. I tried to listen to what they were saying but their voices were too muffled to be able to hear a full sentence. 

A few minutes passed and I couldn't hear anything anymore. The next thing I heard was a bang as the front door slammed shut. I waited trying to figure out what had happened. Then I saw Max through the window again, but he was walking back to the car looking angry and disappointed. 

I ran over to the window again and started banging on the glass, trying to get his attention.

"MAX!" I shouted. He couldn't hear me.

"MAX! WAIT!!" I shouted louder but it was no use.

I tried to open the window but that too was locked. I tugged on the handle desperately and continued to bang on the glass. Tears had started to fill my eyes. 

Max had gotten into his car now and was already shutting the door. As he started the engine I lost hope. The tears poured down my cheeks as I watched my brother leave me once again. I felt so hopeless and lost, like I had to leave Max all over again. Just then the door clicked unlocked and Fiona came in.

"Dinner's ready now" she said.

I quickly wiped away the tears and reluctantly got up and made my way towards the dining room table where Richard was already sitting. I sat down as Fiona brought out the food. It was cottage pie, my least favourite dish ever. 

A few minutes went by of awkward conversation and I was starting to get annoyed. I wanted to know why Max had come but didn't see me. I decided to ask a few careful questions to start with.

"Who was here earlier? I thought I heard a car pull up" 

Fiona paused before she answered. "No one important, just a delivery man."

Why were they lying to me?

"Are you sure? Maybe it was Max..."

"Honey, this pie tastes amazing" Richard butted in.

"Stop trying to change the subject. I know max was here! I saw him!" I said more loudly.

Richard put his cutlery down and looked me dead in the eyes. "That's none of your concern so just leave the matter alone" The calmness in his voice just angered me even more.

"No, he's my brother! Why didn't you let me see him?!"

"BECAUSE HE'S NOT A PART OF YOUR LIFE ANYMORE! MAX NEEDS TO LEARN TO ACCEPT THAT YOU DONT NEED HIM AND THAT YOU'RE BETTER OFF AWAY FROM HIM!" Richard yelled.

"But I do need-" I began.

"NO BUTS! YOU KNOW WHAT FORGET DINNER, YOU'RE GOING STRAIGHT BACK TO YOUR ROOM!"