Chapter 5: Lan Zhan Wants to Have Fun

"Will you at least tell me where we're going?" Jiang Cheng asked once the silencing seal had become undone on its own about half an hour later. During that time, they had traveled far away from the Cloud Recesses. The inhabitants of Gusu all looking like looking like tiny little ants from up where they soared. "Why are you even doing this?"

"Revenge?" He didn't sound too confident in his response. Jiang Cheng glared, more out of habit than of actual utility, seeing that Lan Xichen had no way of seeing his face right now. Even when he stopped flailing to get himself free the older cultivator had yet to let him down. Despite this, sect leader Lan had spent enough time around his fellow sect leader to feel the stare burning holes in his back. "I'm doing it for fun, I just want to forget all about..." Lan Xichen sighed. His home was still in ruins. Empathizing with the feeling of having Wei Ying destroy something you love Jiang Cheng gave in to the Lan's wishes. They could both use some time off of work, why not spend that time together?

"Fine. Let's have a fun day out. Though those three might make that somewhat difficult. Did you have to make it seem like you were kidnapping me?" Jiang Cheng asked, referring to the three youngsters who were flying not too far behind them. He was somewhat surprised that the group hadn't caught up to them already. Lan Xichen was the superior cultivator, no doubt about it, so it wasn't surprising that he was better at flying. But right now he was being slowed down significantly, partially because the sword beneath his feet didn't belong to him and partially because of the additional baggage he had lugged over his shoulder. Baggage which was getting very tired of not being considered a passenger.

"...and put me down!" Jiang Cheng demanded as his stomach was starting to hurt from being bent over Lan Xichen's shoulder for so long.

"No." The unemotional voice of Lan Wangji was back.

"You're breaking me in two! Put me down!" He shouted. At which point the Lan finally let him down from his shoulder. But Jiang Cheng might have celebrated too soon, as his feet did not meet the hard steel of Bichen and instead was continuing to dangle in midair. With one arm supporting his back and one wrapped underneath his knees Jiang Cheng was still being carried. Only difference being he was no longer in physical pain, though he was certainly assaulted by a similarly painful emotional pain brought on by the embarrassment of being carried like a petite woman.

"Ze-..." but before he could complain he was silenced yet again.

"Call me Lan Zhan" the Lan said.

"..." Really? Jiang Cheng glared at him, but like usual this had no effect on the second Jade twin. His expressionless face remained unaffected. It really was like talking to Lan Wangji himself: fucking pointless.

"Will you do it? Will you call me by my given name?" His frosty eyes bore into him with an intensity Jiang Cheng was not used to. Lan Wangji only ever looked at Wei Ying like that and Lan Xichen never looked like that at anyone. Averting his eyes to avoid the uncomfortable fire it set in his stomach Jiang Cheng nodded his head. He agreed to play along. If this was what would make Lan Xichen happy, then that's what he'd do, even if it was strange and uncomfortable. At least it wasn't like he'd be calling the actual Lan Wangji by his given name so it wasn't that big of a deal, Jiang Cheng tried to convince himself. The moment he agreed he felt his lips part once more, Lan Xichen had undone the silencing seal and allowed him to speak once more.

"So where are you taking me... Lan Zhan?" The name felt clumsy coming out of his mouth. But a small smile formed on Lan Xichen's face and it might be his imagination but was he being pulled closer to the Lan's chest? Lan Xichen's grip was already to begin with quite loose. Not enough so that he was at risk of being dropped, but in a way that made him feel like a precious art piece made out of ceramics. A fragile thing of beauty which should be treated with utmost care.

Lan Xichen did not answer him, instead choosing to remain silent. This game, in which Lan Xichen, had taken the role of his brother, was continuing. Judging by the previous looks Jiang Cheng was likely taking the place of Wei Ying, but there was a second person Lan Wangji would handle with this much care, a younger version of Lan Sizhui. Thinking back Jiang Wanyin could remember the Lan being just as attached to his son as the Jiang had been of his nephew. You'd never spot one without the other.

Due to their similar objective at the time, Lan Wangji and Jiang Wanyin often ended up at the same place at the same time. Every time there was a rumor of demonic cultivation being used they were the first cultivators to investigate its accuracy. For the first couple of years they had both been accompanied by their respective child, neither want to part with them. But by the time the young boys formed their golden cores Lan Wangji began to leave Lan Sizhui to train with Lan Qiren back at the Cloud Recesses whilst Jin Ling were still following closely by his uncle, learning in the field rather than in a boring classroom.

Even to this day the Jin and Jiang were inseparable, seeing that they were both the only family the other had. But on this particular day Jiang Cheng didn't want the kid around. His previous actions, though understandable, would not make for a very enjoyable experience. And judging by the fact that Lan Xichen hadn't let them catch up to them he likely felt the same. He did not want to listen to the Jin's possessive shrieking all day long.

But the sword chase would soon come to an end as Bichen swiftly began to descend. Wherever the Lan was heading to it was nearby. Walking by a couple of houses they had arrived at the place where "Lan Wangji" intended for them to spend their day.

"No." Jiang Cheng pushed himself out of the Lan's arms. He put his foot down and crossed his arms, refusing to go any further. "This is not the kind of 'fun' that I agreed to." Jiang Cheng could hear the youngsters approach from afar, they would soon catch up to them. Before then, "Lan Wangji" could either choose for them to go elsewhere or wait for their disciples to join in.

"Jiang Cheng, please trust me" Jiang Cheng did not trust Lan Wangji in the slightest, having chosen Wei Ying as his most precious person there was clearly something not right in that head of his. But the voice speaking was not frosty, on the contrary it was warm, sweet, and highly persuasive in a way only possible of its true owner. Sect leader Lan knew how trustworthy he was and was taking full advantage of it.

"Hmpf. Fine... But if you do anything strange I won't hesitate to bite" Jiang Cheng warned before he walked past Lan Xichen to go inside the small inn he'd been led to.