Discovered?

Ella POV:

The anger pooled in my body, the words of my supervisor echoed, "You are too quiet, we hardly hear and see you, if you don't talk to a client, we don't hear you, you don't share anything about yourself, you have to improve on this point, otherwise we will have to let you go". I should let more of myself be heard? Should I share more? With people who avoided me because I came from Germany for them, with Dutch language skills, who also happened to speak German and had thus gotten one of the coveted jobs . The only thing I had done was to look for a job, I was able to gain a foothold in customer service thanks to my experience and also work here in a country where I had no real business. The fact that I could now lose this job because I wasn't social enough only inflamed the anger further.

The only thing I tried to do was stay alive, not to attract attention and, above all, not to attract the attention of certain people. I had made it for three years and now the job was on the line just because I wasn't social enough?!

I left the big office where my colleagues worked and followed the way to the exit, tears threatened to block my vision, I hated it so much that when I was angry, the tears always jumped into my eyes. Luckily for me, my shift was over and I was able to go home, I didn't have to face the looks of my colleagues who were grumbling about what our supervisor had discussed with me. I was aware that I wasn't very social, I was aware that I was more of an introvert, I struggled to communicate with others and make friends even before I ended up here. Would it ever stop?

As if in a trance, I ran into someone, without turning around, I excused myself and kept walking. If I turned around now, I wouldn't be able to hold back the tears and the last thing I needed now was someone who felt sorry for me. When I was finally in front of the building, I took several deep breaths in and out. My nerves were stretched to the breaking point and yet I managed to go to the train, find a seat and not burst into tears. The helplessness drove away the anger and left me perplexed, what should I do? I wasn't good at pretending, I was friendly to my colleagues, helpful and not open and honest, what I thought about them was due to my upbringing.

How could I get social if I wasn't and just the thought of making small talk with people drained me? It wasn't that I didn't want to talk to others, I just got drained so quickly and couldn't bring myself to be social and analyze every single clue. I didn't have the energy or the mental strength to do it.

When my stop was called, I got up and left the train, the hairs on the back of my neck stood up, the feeling of being followed came over me out of nowhere, for camouflage I opened, a navigation app on my phone and pretended to have to orient myself. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see a dark-clad figure standing in my immediate vicinity and keeping an eye on me. He didn't even hide the fact that he was looking at me.

My heart pounded painfully fast against my ribs, the fear I felt at the sight of him paralyzed me for a few seconds. Hopefully it wasn't a vampire that these would know directly that my cover to orient me wasn't real.

"Oh well, that's where I have to go"with these words I deliberately walked calmly to the exit, comparing the signslike someone who didn't know where to go, until I ran up the stairs and at theexit, made sure that the figure had not followed me and ran off. After only 5minutes I felt a sharp pain in my side and my lungs were burning, but I didn'tstop until I arrived in front of the building where I had rented a smallone-room apartment. And I was in my apartment, the locks were in front of it,everything was locked before I dared to breathe more calmly and come to rest.Had they found me? After I had done everything I could not to be found? It hadbeen three years since I had found myself in this part of the world. My homeand yet again not. I still had trouble accepting it