Could I Ask for a Favor?

Start bij het begin

She gives me a knowing look. Heading to the kitchen for a moment to return with a steaming bowl of soup not a moment later.
"Now dear, I'm no doctor but I am a mother so I think that qualifies the same. Either way anyone could tell somethings going one with you. Nai'o tells me you haven't been sleeping all to great."

I nod to her, taking the bowl from her hands. It's not very hot, just warm, but is steaming more than you think it would. I sip on the salty contents. It's a hardy broth with traces of onion, potato, and carrot. I swallow a goof portion of it before dipping my mouth and nodding to her in appreciation.

"It's nothing really.... just bad dreams as of late. Human problems I suppose..."

I drag my finger along the rim of the bowl. Delaila sighs and pats me shoulder.

"I understand the feeling," she speaks with a warm tone, "I might not be much help on a human front but I'm here if you need a mother to talk to either way."

I smile at her, a pang in my heart understanding her kind words. Her offering to act as my motherly figure while I'm here reminds me of home. The fears I have about being here, what life is like back home, what my family is thinking and feeling...

I shake the sad thoughts from my head and cover up my emotions by drinking more of the broth. Nai'o enters the farm house, breathing heavily, wiping sweat from his brow.

He kicks off his boots and notices my awakened state. His face lights up a bit. Delaila heads back into the kitchen, Nai'o replacing her space next to me.

"You're awake! Are you alright? You've been sleeping a while now."

I smile softly at him. "Yeah I'm fine, I'm fine... I'm sorry I wasn't much help today, Nai'o. I just-"

"Don't you start that," he interrupts, "you have nothing to apologize for. Your health and safety I'd the upmost priority. I know you hadn't been feeling like yur'self."

I stare into the near empty bowl, my  reflection barely visible in the swirling tan liquid.

"It was that thing again, wasn't it..."

I perk up at his well, more a statement than a question. I haven't told him about what was going on other than nothing sleeping lately. How did he...?

"I over hears Jina rambling to herself about it. Didn't mean too, I just happened to hear it. Is there anything I can do to help yah?"
His caring side shining brightly, I just stare into his face for a moment.

"It's just been around, keeping me up is all. No need to worry about me."

"You're a close friend of mine! Of course I worry! Some invisible force messing with you is worrying!"

I give a small chuckle at his sweet reaction.
"I'll be fine, Nai'o. Thank you."

He grabs my hand gently. "I might not be as smart as Jina or suave as Reth but I do know how to help a friend. What can I do to help you?"

After a moment thinking it over, I'm about to deny his help when I get an idea.

"Do you think... do you think you could talk to Kenyatta about sneaking some anciet human magic texts from her family..?"

Nai'o's face is one of surprise at such a question.

"N-now I know it's a big ask but I can't think of anyone better than you both to do it and it's really important-!"

"I never said no."

It was my turn to be surprised. Nai'o was always such a lawful, straight pathed kind of guy. Asking such a question to break the law with his girlfriend and cover it up all for the sake of some human was... the best thing he's ever heard.

Ever since he and Kenyatta got into a relationship, she'd slowly been showing him that he doesn't always have to stick to a traditional path set out for him. He could make his life his own while still following his beliefs. Thus would be the perfect moment for just that.

There's a determined shine in his eyes, a new fire sparking in him.
"Absolutely I can."

...

*Hey readers! I knew going into this I wouldn't get many reads for a story about a smaller game. I am genuinely so happy that you're enjoying it so far! I'm not too pleased with this chapter and plan on revising it over the next couple of days. I've been busy with school and a personal project but I do take great joy in writing. I hope I can get this chapter to point I'm happy with but I just wasn't sure how to introduce the Daiya family in a natural way as they will be very important later on but there's just so many characters and story elements I want to integrate where the reader can understand without having to play the game. Please please please let me know your thoughts and keep an eye out for updates to this chapter. There will be a coming chapter that will function as an info page that will explain in detail each element of the story and the characters. That's going to take a REALLY long time to write however so let me know ow if there's anything in particular that I've mentioned that you'd like explained! Hope you have a lovely day and thank you for all the support!*