Chapter 1

-8 years old-

"Come on take your pick!" David Morgan shouted to his best friend. They were picking who to choose for a game of dodge ball. The only once left were a young boy name Daryl Dixon and a small, nerdy girl named Melinda.

"Melinda" Jason Brown smirked. They always did that. They always left young Daryl till last, getting his hope up about finally getting picked.

They all laughed when they visibly saw his sadden face. All he wanted was to fit in with the other cool people. He wanted to show them all he was someone.

"Alright!" Coach Armstrong shouted "game on! Dixon go sit on the bleachers"

Daryl bowed his head down and headed to the wooden bench away from the court. They never gave him a chance to prove himself. Everyone had very little faith in him just because he was a Dixon. Nobody liked the Dixon's.

Huffing, he let himself fall on the bleachers, making a loud clanking sound. He felt anger, hurt, and shame. Anger because everyone looked down on him. Hurt because they never gave him a chance. And shame because of his last name.

"They aren't the easiest crowd, right?" A soft voice startled him. He looked around, just to find no one. He thought he was going crazy. He shook his head, think it was just something on his mind.

"I'm behind the bleachers" the soft voice sad again. He squinted his eyes, he could see a slight figure of a girl.

"What are you doing there?" He asked confused. He's never seen her before.

"Coach doesn't let me participate" she answered simply. Daryl walked around the bleachers and behind them. He could see the girl sitting on the ground. She was in a light green Sunday dress. Her hair was braided to the side and had a white bow at the tail of it, matching with the white sandals she had. He also noticed that she had a small book on her lap. The title was faded, the cover looked to be old too. He also noticed how she didn't look at him when she spoke.

She's weird he thought.

"Why doesn't he?" Daryl asked her confused. There must be something severely wrong with this girl.

"Because I'm blind" she shrugged, acting like it was nothing. Although it hurt her to say it. Everyone seemed to avoid her because she was the blind little girl. No one wanted that baggage. Hell, her parents had left her with her aunt until she was old enough to have surgery in her eyes. Just when she started to think he had left, he spoke.

"Then why do you have a book?" He chuckled, the irony made him laugh. It was something he hadn't done in a while.

"It makes me feel normal" she smiled, showing a slight dimple, she didn't know she had, on her right cheek. Daryl only started at the girl, she seemed to relate to him in someways.

"What's your name?" Daryl asked after he realized he hadn't answered. He was curious about this girl.

"Tania" she smiled again "and you are?"

"Daryl" he mumbled, suddenly feeling shy because of her niceness. No one had ever been this nice to him.

"Nice meeting you" she extended her hand to where she could hear his voice. Daryl looked down at her hand, looking at it skeptically before bringing it to meet hers.

"Same"