-4-

The night fades away into the early hours of the morning. I dance with noble after noble. Each expects me to remember their names and their jobs and their wives and their ranks and how they are distantly related to me. It's more exhausting than the dancing itself.

But, I smile and curtsy and lie my way through all their questions. Somehow, I manage to survive the night without offending anyone too greatly. It is not until early dawn that Alexanne allows me to leave the ballroom. With a tired curtsy to my guests, I climb up the staircase and escape into the safety of my quarters.

Camille is asleep when I open the door. It appears as though she attempted to stay awake. She's slumped in a hard chair, a book on her lap and a half cup of tea. I smile and creep past her.

I slip my aching feet out of my shoes. Who decided that shoes meant for dancing needed to be so uncomfortable? I sit down on my stool in front of the mirror and try to pull the crown out of my carefully done hair. I unwrap curls and braids, but don't come any closer to retrieving it.

Eventually, I give up and instead focus on my dress. My fingers fumble with the ribbons and lacing. Several frightening rips later, I manage to loosen the bodice. I slip out of it, the fabric pooling on to the floor. I climb out of my hoops and corset and change into a simple nightgown.

I leave it all in a messy pile on the floor. I would like to put it away for Camille, but I haven't the slightest clue where it all belongs.

I return to the work on my hair, and manage to tug the crown from my head. I leave the tight curls and pinching braids alone, too afraid I will leave myself bald if I attempt to undo them.

I blow out some candles and stumble to my bed. My foot hits the bedpost and I curse under my breath.

Camille stirs, and then jumps up from her chair, "Admira?"

"It's okay, I'm just climbing into bed." I murmur, my eyelids begging for some rest.

"I didn't mean to fall asleep, I am ever so sorry." She lights a candle and surveys the puddle of fabric on the floor. "Did someone help you?"

I wince, "No, I did it myself. Don't worry about me, Camille, I am okay and I'm not angry with you for falling asleep. I only wish it was I who had been sleeping instead of attending that ball. In the morning, you may want to look at the seams of the dress. I may have ripped a few threads."

She offers me a smile, "Thank you for being so understanding."

I relax into my bed, "It is not a problem. Now get some rest."

She nods and extinguishes the candle that she lit. With another murmured apology, she returns to her chair.

I say, "No. To your quarters."

She scurries from the room and into her quarters, where she will be able to sleep in a bed, instead of a wooden chair. Finally, I close my eyes and rest.

●◊●◊●

I wake to late morning rays spilling through my window. At least Alexanne had the decency to allow me to sleep. Camille waits patiently in my room, her dark hair spilling over her shoulder as she's bent over a book.

When I stir, she bursts from her chair. She says, "Admira, I am ever so sorry for falling asleep last night. It was completely irresponsible and—"

"And completely understandable." I say, "I wasn't angry last night and I'm not angry now. Don't worry about it. Please."

She nods, "Would you like some late breakfast?"

"I need stationary, and I need you to write a letter for me."